EGR Tube Nut size

terbow said:
boo. u need better, not correct sized tools then

on a side note, i might have some extra ones, i can take a look and send them to you if u want me to look.

If you do have some extra injector plugs, then please send them Monday. I will pay for shipping, or whatever. Send me a PM letting me know if you found them.

For everyone's reference, you can use a 25-27mm wrench (preferably a flare nut wrench, although they're tough to come by in those larger sizes). the nut itself (like linuxracer said) is almost exactly 25mm in diamter. I used a 27mm, and although I was worried it would strip the nut because of the 2mm difference, it didn't. In fact it worked just fine. You might have a tough time getting the 25mm on there if thats what you decide to go with. Be sure to use some PB blast.

One last thing. Don't use an adjustable wrench, it will loosen its grip in the process of loosening the nut and strip the EGR fitting.

^^Not true. I always use an adjustable wrench. What you don't want to use are vise grips but a good adjustable wrench will no loosen up. I have tried every wrench and this is the best thing to use. Even muffler shops prefer these over the open/close and cresent styles.

Black_Protege_5 said:
^^Not true. I always use an adjustable wrench. What you don't want to use are vise grips but a good adjustable wrench will no loosen up. I have tried every wrench and this is the best thing to use. Even muffler shops prefer these over the open/close and cresent styles.

Hm, maybe my adjustable cresant wrench is just crapping out then. Either way you decide to go, be careful you dont strip the nut!

LinuxRacr said:
Ok, I am frustrated. What size is the damn EGR nut that goes into the intake manifold? I have to go buy a wrench today, and I need to know the correct size. This is the only thing keeping me from taking my intake manifold out, so I can change all the gaskets.

Why not use the Autozone loan a tool program?

1 inch is a tight fit but it gets on there with some motivation. We measured it to be a 26mm. Sears has a 25mm in a set. I'm going to find a 25 and 26mm somewhere.

LinuxRacr said:
I ended up having to split my manifold in half, and manuver the EGR tube out.

we are working on the exact same project on the exact same day. and we came to the same conclusion this morning (what's quoted above). I had a feeling it would be much easier that way. It's really not a big deal to split the mani in half, it's only 3 nuts and 2 bolts. Its a drop in the bucket in comparison to all the other crap you have to do just to get it completely free.

Back