fog lights on with parking lights

I am bamboozled as to why you want the fogs on if it isn't foggy!!!

They are a down right nuisance when you are driving and a car comes along blazing it's fog lights, especially when it is wet. The bright light bounces up of the road surface and causes the oncoming traffic to be dazzled just as if you had the main beam on.
It is acutally illegal to drive in the UK with fog lights on if visibility isn't seriously impeded due to fog. (doesn't stop the boy racers though!)
Although there was a case recently where a massive drugs bust was made because a car was pulled for having its wally lights on. The copper thought all his Christmases had come at once when he saw the gear in the car.....

^^^ I think part of that answer may be that over in your country, you don't have as tight of restrictions on your bulb intensities? Because over here, OEM fog lights are not bright... usually less intensity than your regular low beams. The "fog light w/parking light" look is just a style that some love to have.

The problem that we generally have with fogs are when a riceboy puts on aftermarket fog lights and doesn't have a clue how to aim them, therefore piercing yellow right in your eyeballs.

jandree22 said:
^^^ I think part of that answer may be that over in your country, you don't have as tight of restrictions on your bulb intensities? Because over here, OEM fog lights are not bright... usually less intensity than your regular low beams. The "fog light w/parking light" look is just a style that some love to have.

The problem that we generally have with fogs are when a riceboy puts on aftermarket fog lights and doesn't have a clue how to aim them, therefore piercing yellow right in your eyeballs.

Exactly! The fogs here arent bright at all. Its more a "style" than anything. All of our vehicles are like this with both the Mazdas being the only ones that actually had to get modified. Not that we ride around late evenings with the parking lights and fog lights on.

Picture 072.jpg

Picture 073.jpg

here is better pics of it where u can tell alot better.

the "HOW TO" is on post #8 all we did was hook the fog light relay up to the tail light relay. so when the tail lights are on u have the option to turn on the fog lights. the switch to the fog lights are still fully functional so u dont have to have the fog lights on at all times if u dont want to.

wachamacallit said:
the "HOW TO" is on post #8 all we did was hook the fog light relay up to the tail light relay.
Stupid question are you sure your fogs dont turn on every time you tap the brakes? (ughdance)

wachamacallit said:
the "HOW TO" is on post #8 all we did was hook the fog light relay up to the tail light relay. so when the tail lights are on u have the option to turn on the fog lights. the switch to the fog lights are still fully functional so u dont have to have the fog lights on at all times if u dont want to.
How about some pics and instructions? Throw us a bone....

When it's really, really foggy, it would be beneficial to have only the fogs on, with no low beams. I've driven in conditions like this, so I understand the desire for this mod, though I know some people want it for the cool factor alone.

danix said:
When it's really, really foggy, it would be beneficial to have only the fogs on, with no low beams. I've driven in conditions like this, so I understand the desire for this mod, though I know some people want it for the cool factor alone.

Also helpful in heavy snow. Even low beams make enough light to cause a ton of reflection off the snow to make visibility really poor. Experienced this the first month I had the 5. Drove through part of a snowstorm with just the parking lights on.

fog lights..

dommo_g said:
Also helpful in heavy snow. Even low beams make enough light to cause a ton of reflection off the snow to make visibility really poor. Experienced this the first month I had the 5. Drove through part of a snowstorm with just the parking lights on.

I understand what you are saying about the glareback from the snow.

However, what about the poor person who cannot see you coming along the road because you don't have your beams on, then pulls out in front of you?....

This kind of accident happened just up the road to me last year.
The poor driver of the car that pulled out was shaken but unhurt, but both cars were right offs...

The driver of the car with only its sidelights on used the excuse of not being able to see because of the glare back... so he switched the beams off.....
The simple answer to his dilemma was spelled out in a court case......
Drive to the conditions, even if this means stopping! And drivers have a duty of care to other road users. i.e. put your lights on when visibility is low.....

Last edited:
I did this mod last winter. It took longer than 5 minutes, but still wasn't difficult. Everything was done in the fuse box under the hood, which took the most time. You have to take the fuse cover off and locate the relays for the foglights and the parking lights. I don't have the exact wire colors, so make sure to get a test light. You just need to locate the wire for the foglight relay that gets power when the headlights are turned on. You'll cut that wire and instead connect a trigger wire that gets powered by the parking lights. Understand? I'll try to get pics at some point, but it honestly won't be soon.
Sorry

lightspeed said:
can we have a little bit more detail with the wires. Please!
I took a look at the wiring and got the colors, at least the colors from my car. Always test wiring before making any modifications. This is just meant as a general guide. Everything can be done in the fusebox on the driver's side under the hood. Open hood. Remove cover to fuse box. Once you remove cover, locate foglight relay and taillight relay according to the cover. Standing in front of the car, the foglight relay should be closest to the strut tower in the middle, and the taillight relay should be along the right side at the top of the row of 3 or 4 relays. Before disconnecting the battery turn the foglights on and off and you should be able to hear and feel the relay clicking. Same for the taillight relay. After confirming you are using the correct relays, you can disconnect the battery.

From there you will need to remove the fuse/relay panel. You can see small black clips within the white tray sealing the fuse block. Work your way around the block separating these tabs. Just push the black in toward the fuse block to release. There is one, right next to the battery, which moves the opposite direction. This is the hardest part of the process, but just be patient and keep working the block up gradually. It may be easier if you disconnect the blue harness plug that is connected in the center of the block also. Just pull up on the white handle and it should separate.

After you get the block up so you can see all the wiring, you'll need to temporarily connect power again so you can test your wires. Locate the foglight relay, (make sure your foglights are off), and test for the wire that gets power when the headlights are turned on. Mine was Grey with Blue stripe. When you find the correct wire, mark it. Now to the taillight relay. Test for the wire that gives power out to the taillights when the switch is turned on. Mine was Grey with Black stripe. You need to strip a little insulation from that grey/black wire and connect a scrap piece of wire about 6 inches long. Properly insulate the connection.

Now cut the grey/blue wire about 2 inches from the foglight relay. The end going into the harness can be capped off. The end coming out of the relay needs to be connected to the scrap piece of wire we had connected to the taillight relay. Now test everything. You should be able to turn your foglights on with only the parking lights being on. If everything works properly, make sure all your connections are secure and well insulated, and put it back together the reverse of disassembly.

Long write up, but it really wasn't that difficult if you have some basic electrical skills. But, if you don't feel comfortable doing it, then seek out a qualified technician. Hopefully someone at a car stereo shop/alarm shop will be able to take care of it. That is my background from way back.

This is great! I've been wanting to do this specific upgrade for awhile now, but I basically have no experience doing this sort of thing and I'm worried about messing up. (blowup)

Would you happen to have any pictures you can post for me to follow along? I appreciate all the help.

Thanks!

Sorry, we don't have our 5 anymore, so I don't have any pics to share. Wish I hadn't gotten rid of it......

Back