BMW to launch hydrogen powered 7 series

lydrogen...sweeet. Better pray to god you don't get in a major accident.. I don't know a single Firefighter that's going straight in to get you before taking heat readings if there's even the slightest chance there's a hydrogen fire. Sucks they can't be bought, and lease the same as a $130,000 car..

Last edited:
sephiroth said:
lydrogen...sweeet. Better pray to god you don't get in a major accident.. I don't know a single Firefighter that's going straight in to get you before taking heat readings if there's even the slightest chance there's a hydrogen fire. Sucks they can't be bought, and lease the same as a $130,000 car..
I don't understand why everone worrys about hydrogen we all drive around in cars full of gas that stands to same chance to explode. It's not like they're going to make the fuel cell out of paper mache. You'd have to get in an ultra serious accident to break a hydrogen fuel cell. Even if it did break, the gas would all just dissipate in the atmosphere.

.paul said:
I don't understand why everone worrys about hydrogen we all drive around in cars full of gas that stands to same chance to explode. It's not like they're going to make the fuel cell out of paper mache. You'd have to get in an ultra serious accident to break a hydrogen fuel cell. Even if it did break, the gas would all just dissipate in the atmosphere.

ever heard of the hindenburg?

.paul said:
hydrogen fires are invisible, and burn MUCH hotter than a gas fire(herd of a little thing called the sun?)...that's why you should worry.

sephiroth said:
hydrogen fires are invisible, and burn MUCH hotter than a gas fire(herd of a little thing called the sun?)...that's why you should worry.
Dont' they also burn out a lot faster than a regular gas fire, i.e. almost instantaneously?

Anyway, I'm not worried. Like I said, it's not like they're going to put hydrogen in something weak. From what I understand when I used to keep up with FCV's, they're built to much higher standards than are necessary, because the engineers know how people feel about hydrogen. It has a bad rap because of the hindenburg (which was a disaster waiting to happen anyway) as Roywhitep5 pointed out.

.paul said:
hindehuh?

j/k

The hindenburg was something totally different.
You're right on that one. It wasent the hydrogen that caused the thing to go up in the first place(although..it didn't exactly slow things down..), it was the jet fuel laced paint, LOL.

Jay Leno Speaks Out On behalf of BMW's Hydrogen Initiative

Bumped into this today. Jay Leno, yes, a good comedian, but also knows well his way around cars. Interesting view. Notice the swift swap Hydrogen to Gas, and it is a V12!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHbaOX2UAs0

(Originally posted by the AutoChannel)

BTW, I'm just reading this thread through and made my day, Lydrogen (lol2) :D

...and back from the dead, and I still love it..

I wonder how much the Protege 5 Hydrogen kit would be?

I think the best way for the hydrogen to take off is to have a Hydrogen generator in each house gathering Hydrogen out of every bodies "gray water"

Back