96 DX Protege, where is manual transmission fluid hole? (Weird MT problems)

kenton

Hello. I'm posting for my girlfriend who owns a 96 DX with about 23X,XXX miles on it. (Yes, you're reading that right, almost a quarter of a million miles.) (I drive a 99 Civic DX with a B18C swap with a JRSC heh heh heh)

She had some problems and couldn't explain what so I went out and drove her car. Her car has always had some weird clutch issues, especially starting off from 0 in 1st. Anyways, today it feels like the transmission is slipping, at low RPMs the car has very little power and once power builds up it revs super high immedately before the shift. This car doesn't have a tach, so I can't really tell if it seems to be a slipping transmission.

The first thing I wanted to do was check the transmission for proper fluid levels and look for any bubbles or any other weird signs. I COULD NOT find where the manual transmission fluid goes, we looked for like 20 minutes and she doesn't have the OEM manual. (dunno)

Her dad tells me that car doesn't need manual transmission fluid, which I call BS on, due to the simple fact that the two cars I've owned, with the 3 engines I owned, every single one of them needed fluid, and EXPLICITLY told me to only use Honda MTF.

Can anyone help me find where the fluid hole is?

Manual trans hole.

kenton said:
Hello. I'm posting for my girlfriend who owns a 96 DX with about 23X,XXX miles on it. (Yes, you're reading that right, almost a quarter of a million miles.) (I drive a 99 Civic DX with a B18C swap with a JRSC heh heh heh)

She had some problems and couldn't explain what so I went out and drove her car. Her car has always had some weird clutch issues, especially starting off from 0 in 1st. Anyways, today it feels like the transmission is slipping, at low RPMs the car has very little power and once power builds up it revs super high immedately before the shift. This car doesn't have a tach, so I can't really tell if it seems to be a slipping transmission.

The first thing I wanted to do was check the transmission for proper fluid levels and look for any bubbles or any other weird signs. I COULD NOT find where the manual transmission fluid goes, we looked for like 20 minutes and she doesn't have the OEM manual. (dunno)

Her dad tells me that car doesn't need manual transmission fluid, which I call BS on, due to the simple fact that the two cars I've owned, with the 3 engines I owned, every single one of them needed fluid, and EXPLICITLY told me to only use Honda MTF.

Can anyone help me find where the fluid hole is?

There should be 2 fairly large bolts on the firewall side of the trans. If I remember correctly you can also fill it from the speedometer cable (that only if the cable comes straight out of the top of the trans. Back to the 2 bolts. they should be about 6 inches from the bell housing. anyways that's where id was on one of my friend Hondas when I had tot do his clutch

Back