2.0L Manual Transmission fluid change: how-to please

mopiko

Contributor
Can anyone tell me how can I change the manual transmission fluid? What kind does our P5 use, and how much do I need?

I remember getting it done by a service station back at 30,000 miles and I think they put the wrong type in... whenever its cold outside I can't really shift nicely at all.

Thanks in advance.

The drain plug is on the very bottom of the tranny. It is a 23mm socket. Just open it up and drain out teh fluid. IIRC, the fill plug is also a 23mm. It is on the front of the tranny pointed slightly toward the ground. If you crawl under the car and look at the front of the tranny from underneath you'll see it. You'll need a funnel with a hose attached to it since the fill plug is facing down slightly. I can't remember what the exact capacity is. 2.7 quarts maybe. I think I just dumped 3 quarts into mine and it's been fine.

Thanks for the quick reply. What kind of fluid should I put in? (other than it be manual tranny fluid :D)

mopiko said:
Thanks for the quick reply. What kind of fluid should I put in? (other than it be manual tranny fluid :D)

use synthetic.....i put amsoil in at 30K and it is good for life of the car now.....

Just remember if you have the car jacked up or on ramps then it won't be level and you'll get a little more in it than it's supposed to have. thats why I just put in 3 and sealed it up. I still doubt that a small amount like that will matter, but I'm the son of an obsesive compulsive so I've been conditioned since birth to be anal. Luckily I've been able to resist most of the urges, hence my 3 quarts instead of the exact 2.7

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92306&highlight=transmission+fluid

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79869&highlight=transmission+fluid

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76420&highlight=transmission+fluid

Have fun finding a 23mm socket, use a funnel with a looonnng hose to fill the tranny from the top of the engine bay. Try the manual at protege5.ugly.net for diagrams of location of the drain and fill plug. I could have sworn there already was a how to on this, but I can't seem to find it. Even had a nice pic of the plugs, but the manual should do. Some recommend running the car a bit to help heat the oil for better drainage. This stuff is uber viscous.

believe the tranny takes 2.9 qts.....and yes, let the car run for a couple before drainning it. will flow our much better.......

I see. Do they make different kind of tranny fluid besides synthetic and non-synthetic? Like the number as in engine oil? (Yeah, noob question :p)... my car is now at 66,000 miles, should I worry about flushing the trans or I don't have to?

I've gone through the How to section and didn't see much that's really interesting... then again I only read through the topics, so thanks peepsalot for doing the search for me. Much appreciated. BTW, the protege5.ugly.net is not up. Just a note.

I think mine just had mobil 1 crap in it from the factory. I put synchromesh in and it's so much better!

btw, you don't need to jack up the car. you will need a mini beer bong to fill it though

Back