How To: EGR Removal and Cleaning for Rough Idle Fix

ok - let me clear it with my wife...when she gives me "the look" like "hell no" ill have you call her...hehehehe.

If you drop tools into your engine bay, get a mechanic's magnet. Basically it's a long rod (usually extendable) with a strong magnet on the end. If you can see what you dropped, you can retrieve it.

peepsalot said:
You sure you got a good seal on the two halves? And between the EGR and the manifold? You still have the little metal gasket inbetween the EGR and manifold?

is it bad if I didn't put that thing back ? I think it felt when I removed the EGR valve and I didn't think it was needed to put it back ..

without sounding like an as. yeah, go buy a new one. Autozone should hav them or go to the dealer and pay a dollar or two.

i agree. It is a little gasket. The amount of time and work to rig something up is just too much effort.

Diehonda said:
without sounding like an as. yeah, go buy a new one. Autozone should hav them or go to the dealer and pay a dollar or two.

I just checked the maintenance PDF at protege5.ugly and I know what you mean now ... it must be somewhat important ..

I'm gonna try to get a net one thanks guy !

Anyone know what bit is needed for taking off the IAC? It`s a special little torx or something odd.

Well, I don`t wanna break anything and be stuck. BUT, my car still dies when it`s hot. Let`s say I turn it off to get gas or just turn it off for a short amount of time after it`s been driven. I start it back up and it will die if I don`t keep my foot on the gas pedal. It will stop dying after I drive a short distance though. Or sometimes when I get on it then put it in neutral it will die. I am almost 100% positive I do not have a vacuum leak, I checked. Hmm... cleaning the IAC sounded like a good idea from a previous post in this thread.

RaiderMP5 said:
The last guy who just took it apart, had to replace it.

Idle Air Controller
You`re no knob, huh? ha, knob...

Hughes412 said:
Ok I'm no knob when it comes to cars but I can't seen to figure out what IAC means.(poke)

i cleaned out my EGR valve finally after planning to do this for over a year (well, flypinoy7 did) and it solved my CEL...we had to cut the screw to give it a flathead slat to take it apart, but it worked, and now i don't have a CEL and my car idles a lot better. thanks 122 vega for putting this up ! i think this is a highly recommended how-to to do because if you're having idle problems and such, this will definitely help

Well, definitely help unless you`re having whatever problem I`m having. AHH! Anyway, you have jflo gauges, jflo?

jflo said:
i cleaned out my EGR valve finally after planning to do this for over a year (well, flypinoy7 did) and it solved my CEL...we had to cut the screw to give it a flathead slat to take it apart, but it worked, and now i don't have a CEL and my car idles a lot better. thanks 122 vega for putting this up ! i think this is a highly recommended how-to to do because if you're having idle problems and such, this will definitely help

protegeric said:
Well, definitely help unless you`re having whatever problem I`m having. AHH! Anyway, you have jflo gauges, jflo?

huh ? i know not of the gauges you speak. are they a kind of brand or something ?

and not too sure about the problem you're having. maybe the IAC is sensing a lot of hot air and telling the ECU to richen up the AFR ?

protegeric said:
Well, I don`t wanna break anything and be stuck. BUT, my car still dies when it`s hot. Let`s say I turn it off to get gas or just turn it off for a short amount of time after it`s been driven. I start it back up and it will die if I don`t keep my foot on the gas pedal. It will stop dying after I drive a short distance though. Or sometimes when I get on it then put it in neutral it will die. I am almost 100% positive I do not have a vacuum leak, I checked. Hmm... cleaning the IAC sounded like a good idea from a previous post in this thread.

i have a similar issue. when my p5 is driving for a while, turned off then turned on 10 minutes lates, it will idle real low then come back up...its sporatic, but since i bought it used with 51K, i think it needs a little TLC under the hood. i purchased a bumper 2 bumper warranty to everything is covered...ill take it under under the 'low idle' factor.

Taking the throttle body out probably cut the most time. In retrospect, I think taking out the battery will also really help too.

Back