Losing power/stalling on Mazda Millenia 2001

cjmichael

My 2001 Mazda Millenia (2.5 engine) periodically stalls. After warmed up and at higher speeds, car will lose power for about 10 mph and then recover (resembling narcolepsy). At lower speeds, car will buck (doesnt backfire). This is an intermittent problem and current solution is to turn car off for 10 seconds and restart.usually stops for a short time.

ODB scanner doesnt show error code. Last night got a P1195 (SCP HBCC Chip Failed to Initialize). Frankly, not sure what that means.

Ive taken this to local mechanic and dealer, both are willing to look at the car and charge me but alas, several hundred dollars later, car still bucking.

Ive heard: Statistics is never a substitute for common sense so heres what I think: Stalling and power loss may indicate vacuum leak. Ive checked all the vacuum hoses that I can see and all look good and are connected. So could this be an intermittent sensor that the computer wouldnt catch?

Or is the computer bad and therefore not registering real trouble code due to intermittent problem?

Any ideas?

Oh by the way, this started after check engine light came on and car was taken in for that and to get an oil change. Result: tune up including changing relays and spark plugs.

Well, I'm not a mechanic, but it sounds like your engine is getting periodic interruptions of the electrical or fuel kind.

Fuel:

bad gas?
partially plugged fuel filter?

Electrical:

coil or distributor problems?

As for vacuum lines, I've heard the 2.3 Miller Cycle is particularly prone to problems, but not sure about the 2.5

Bout all I can think of for now. good luck.

Thanks

Hey Thanks MT,

My Dad suggested that it might be condensation in the fuel tank so last week I bought a fuel additive and have seen significant improvement. It might need another application but hopefully this will solve it.

Thanks. C.

Back