Mazda 3's in snow

fam

:
10 Mazda5 GT AT, 10 Mazda3S GB GT 6SPD
Well My 2nd real test in real amounts of snow shows me that the tires that come on factory are for rain and dry, not for snow. I know, once i get some all weather tires she will do fine. I do think that at low speeds the wheel doesnt let you know when you dont have traction, none at all, the only way i know when im at low speeds is when i notice my wheel is turned more than im turning.

Last edited:
fam said:
Well My 2nd real test in real amounts of snow shows me that the tires that come on factory are for rain and dry, not for snow. I know, once i get some all weather tires she will do fine. I do think that at low speeds the wheel doesnt let you know when you dont have traction, none at all, the only way i know when im at low speeds is when i notice my wheel is turned more than im turning.

I hate to break this to you, but the stock tires are all-weather tires. For improved traction in winter you'll winter tires.

I don't care what car you have, all weather tires suck in the snow. It should be a law that people in this climate should have to get winter tires.

Albino Flash said:
I don't care what car you have, all weather tires suck in the snow. It should be a law that people in this climate should have to get winter tires.

(mswerd)

Why don't insurance companies deny claims if accidents are caused because people don't use winter tires when they should?

joepro said:
Why don't insurance companies deny claims if accidents are caused because people don't use winter tires when they should?

If you want to drive normal, snow or winter tires may be your best bet. We had some snow and ice here about a week ago and I found the RS-A'a acceptable. Not the best. Most of it has to do with how you drive in the snow/ice.

ag bullet said:
If you want to drive normal, snow or winter tires may be your best bet. We had some snow and ice here about a week ago and I found the RS-A'a acceptable. Not the best. Most of it has to do with how you drive in the snow/ice.

This much?
winterwonderland.jpg

People think all-season tires are good in the snow. They're not.
People think AWD is a substitute for snow tires. Its not.
People think that driving a truck is safer in the snow. Its not.
People think wiper blades should last more than 3 months. They don't.

And you wonder why people don't like driving in the snow.

If you want to drive in the snow, buy snow tires and a set of winter wiper blades. Its that simple. I hear people say "well I can't afford snow tires". News flash, if you can't afford tires you shouldn't be driving. When you're driving on your snows, you're not driving on your all-seasons/performance tires so there is no additional cost to owning your car. You just need to put the money up front so you can have two sets of tires at a time.

Unlike my friend from the Buckeye state....I still think freedom of choice is a wonderful thing.

If you think about it, you can't create enough laws to protect people from themselves, and things are hard to idiot proof because they keep coming up with smarter idiots.

OTOH, I agree that if someone can't afford snow tires in the Winter, driving in Snow, they shouldn't drive.

IIRC, that Lake effect stuff will stop even cars with snow tires....glad I no longer live on the Banks of the Mighty Flaming Cuyahoga.....

Vredesteins were my snow tire of choice back in the good old snow days...that I recall so fondly....NOT!

I plan on picking up some snow tires soon, now that Tire Rack has gotten the problems with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System figured out.

I will say this, though, about the stock tires:

My skills with driving in a drift, and getting out of a sideways turn have NEVER been better.

I feel like a freakin' rally driver, it's great! :D

bluntman said:
This much?
winterwonderland.jpg

Sure, that drift/plow line is high, but the road is pretty clear. I think that the majority of the problems are with either lack of common sense and lack of driver skill. We all make bad decisions, it is easy to blame something else, when really we shouldn't have been on the roads in the first place. For my climate and the 2-3 snows we get a year, I think my 3 will do fine. I can't speak for other parts of the country that get way more snow than I get here.

chuyler1 said:
And you wonder why people don't like driving in the snow.

Actually, I would love driving in snow if it weren't for all the terrible drivers around here. It's them I'm worried about and not snow.

Well living in toledo i had a 3rd big snow already, about 6 inches overnight when weatherman said 1" max, roads sucked bad in the morning and i had to take my woman to work, the stock rsa's arent great for initial takeoff (i couldnt take off as fast as fast as the other fwd cars at lights) but once i got going she was steady at 40 mph (which driving in 5 inchs of snow is pretty good imo) no slides, no steering issues. Only bad thing is after the snow, i just hit a pothole and busted my right front and have to replace it. Fu*% TOLEDO.

Back