Mazda3 OEM Wheel & Tire Sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as you have it on a wheel with right offset, it won't rub.

Oh... and I wouldn't put a 225 on a stock wheel. I should have clarified that. Only aftermarket wheels 7.0-7.5 inches wide.

ya, i mean i guess i coulda clarified too, im looking for aftermarket in the 7-7.5in range. im sure im a pain in the ass, but is there a link that explains offsets, cuz this is getting confusing as sin. i thought a 225 tire is automatically on a wider wheel, i didnt know you could put a 225 on a reg size wheel?!?! help im confused

trbab032886 said:
ya, i mean i guess i coulda clarified too, im looking for aftermarket in the 7-7.5in range. im sure im a pain in the ass, but is there a link that explains offsets, cuz this is getting confusing as sin. i thought a 225 tire is automatically on a wider wheel, i didnt know you could put a 225 on a reg size wheel?!?! help im confused
A 225 will physically fit on the stock 6.5" wheel, but it's not recommended and most tire stores won't do it. A minimum of a 7" wide wheel is recommended.
As far as offsets are concerned, a front driver has a positive offset. This means that the wheel center and most of the wheel width is pushed inside the wheel well... past the end of the axle.
http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
In simpler terms, you would never ever use a "deep dish" mag on a front driver. They are defined as a negative offset and would screw up the steering and front end geometry and put excessive strain on the components, especially the wheel or axle bearings. In other words, it's dangerous to you and hard on the vehicle. Remember the "roller skate" car trend a few years ago? Dumb idea.
As far as offset is concerned, you do have some room to play with, usually about 5mm, but the closer you can get to the original factory offset, the better. Stock positive offset on our 3's is 52.5mm, no matter which stock wheels you have. This can be seen cast into the wheel on the back wheel flange of the rim, between the lug holes. Try to stay within 5mm (48-52.5) of that spec and you should be OK.
'Hope all this helps you figure it out. It can be a little confusing.

Or, you can feel free to use the search feature on this forum and not hijack this thread, since wheel size, tire size and offset have been discussed at least a dozen times, half of them in the past month or so.

:D

As per the title at the top, this thread is supposed to be about stock sizes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back