Help- trying to change headlight bulb

rocketspeed

:
03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege, Titanium Gray
I've done this once before, but I've forgotten- the harness doesn't want to unplug from the bulb and I'm afraid of breaking it by pulling on it. They unplug, then the rubber boot, then pop the clip and swing it out, right?

Heh I actually broke one of my harnesses getting a bulb out.

Kept on pulling, pulling, and the bulb finally came out. But left one prong still stuck in the harness! So I take a pair of pliers, pull, pull, pull, pull....and it comes out with a small piece of plastic from the harness.

Still works fine though ;)

I got it done, but man was it a PITA. I finally got it pulled off just enough to wedge a screwdriver in there and pry it off the rest of the way. I have blisters and cuts all over my hands from wrestling that thing!

rocketspeed said:
I got it done, but man was it a PITA. I finally got it pulled off just enough to wedge a screwdriver in there and pry it off the rest of the way. I have blisters and cuts all over my hands from wrestling that thing!
i just changed one bulb yesterday and the wire harness does take some effort to get off. you should see my wrists and hands from getting the oil filter off my g/f's new jetta when i changed the oil for the first time last week. that was a PITA......next time will be easy though. i did not overtighten the filter....

Here's a suggestion to prevent future problems. The next time you remove an electrical plug, coat the terminals or contacts with Permatex Dielectric Tune-Up Grease. Squeeze some grease from the tube onto a toothpick and apply. Among other things, it prevents corrosion from building up on electrical contacts making it difficult to separate plugs from sockets. It's the same product used to coat the inside of spark plug boots to prevent tearing on removal.

It's available at Pep Boys as well as other places.

ok i just pulled the rubber boot back and unscrewed a lil bit and poped the clip, harness is still on there, but now i cant get it back together so i do need to pull off that harness?

SkinnyJoint said:
ok i just pulled the rubber boot back and unscrewed a lil bit and poped the clip, harness is still on there, but now i cant get it back together so i do need to pull off that harness?
You need to unplug the bulb from the harness. Install is reverse- stick the bulb in the thing, pop the clip back in place, put the boot back and plug in the harness.

Thanks for the tip on the grease. I never had problems with bulbs before to need to use it for that, but its a good use for it.

ok ok im an idiot, i thought that it wasnt a clip thing. and i unscrewed the screw that was holding down the clip instead of just poping the clip. but everything is good to go now i got it back in.

and headlight aligning would only be needed if u take out the casing right?

SkinnyJoint said:
so if i wanted to smoke/bake the headlights i would have to get them realigned?
Not if you don't **** with the alignment screws. You can always align your own headlights anyway, just use a wall or a garage door with some level ground, you'll be fine.

Back