Cold Air Intake ABS Harness Issues!!!

crossbow

:
Mazda 6s
I just noticed this wasn't on msprotege, so I'm reposting it, as another 6 member recently had this issue, having forgotten to perform this relatively simple procedure. (Btw this issue doesn't effect the CP-E intakes, which use their own system to isolate the harness from the CAI)

MAJOR issue discovered with Cold Air Intakes and the ABS Harness!
http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=35

Recently a Mazda6 owner encountered an issue with his ABS sensors after having his car dyno'd. (Over 10,000+ Miles with the Intake Installed)

This issue has appeared on other mazda6's in the past, and seemed to possibly just be a fickle problem.

On one owners ABS system, it would found that his ABS harness was RUBBING against his cold air intake, and causing the plastic cover to wear off, eventually exposing the wires, causing a short. This short can cause the ABS module to FAIL, and require its replacement. Since this was DIRECTLY caused by the INTAKE, it will most likely have to be replaced OUTSIDE OF MAZDA'S WARRANTY. For those not aware, replacing the ABS module and harness will cost over 1,000 USD...

ANY COLD AIR INTAKE PASSING INTO THE WHEEL WELL MAY HAVE THIS ISSUE.

AEM, K&N, and INJEN, it doesn't matter which one. The FURTHER the CAI passes into the wheel well, the GREATER the likelyhood that the harness could be worn. (Metal on plastic, instead of plastic on plastic).

The ABS harness is located here....

caiissue1.jpg

It has been outlined in RED for ease of finding it.

Here is another photo of the harness....

caiissue2.jpg

This shows the relationship of the position of the HARNESS to the CAI. Note that ANY PIPE traveling past the harnesses location MAY CAUSE RUBBING ON THE HARNESS. This is not intake specific, but rather CAI specific. (This does not effect short rams).

A quick and simple solution to this is attaching a piece of foam between the harness and Cold Air Intake.

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=35

The foam can be kept in place with a plastic fastener, allowing both the harness to be protected, and moved out of the way. Providing a more stable mount for the cable would also ensure that the foam itself wouldn't rub :).

The rubbing is caused by the pipe/filter/harness movement/vibration during driving.

Last edited:
yeah I don't have abs but yeah still same thing applies...anything that can only be ordered by dealer is gona cost! I got my styrofoam tubing from home depot in pipe insulation section I beleve for those needing it(I.E. don't have anything protecting their harness right now) When you start modding and screw things up it's hard to go back later and get stuff that did brake under warrenty replaced with no questions asked ;) cover your harness to cover your ass...

Its not just ABS. The harness is also for the headlights, the TCS, the fan controller, the windshield wipers, the horns...pretty much all the electronics in front of the engine. Costs around 1400-1600 USD to replace.

I don't think this is a problem on the 6i's, just the 6s's. Doesn't hurt to check though...if you see a pipe near a big clump of wires, isolate the wires :).

cheaper to insulate than replace. Theres always that 10% chance and I'm always that 10% :(

the wires are there on the 6i also well they are on mine at least lol

Back