Speaker Sizes, Harnesses and Kits of all Mazdas

do y'all think polk momo's 6.75 will ft in the ft doors of my '03 P5

<TABLE class=main align=center><TBODY><TR><TD>Driver Mounting Depth</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=specsMinor>Top Mount</TD><TD>2-13/16" (7.14cm)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specsMinor>Bottom Mount</TD><TD>3-1/16" (7.78cm)</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE class=main align=center><TBODY><TR><TD>Cut-out</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=specsMinor>Driver Cut-out Diameter</TD><TD>5-13/16" (14.76cm)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specsMinor>Tweeter Cut-out Diameter</TD><TD>2-3/16" (5.56cm)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://www.polkaudio.com/car/specs.php?name=mm6

So if I were to purchase a new HU for my 2001 MP3 (gonna get the Pioneer DEH-P760MP), would I purchase the Metra 70-7903 harness kit? Also, I'd like to replace the crappy stock sub wiring with better power/RCA cables.

Can anyone give me hints on where to hook up the ground, remote turn on etc?

Chris

I'm looking for the harnesses, especially the reverse harness...where did you get yours?

aydu said:
I have an 02 ES sedan. The stock speakers that come with this model are very light weight, paper cones with wizzer cones for tweeters. They are made by Pioneer and say they can handle up to 25 watts.

I upgraded my speakers first, then added an amp (4x40watts). You can try the amp upgrade and see if it gives you the sound you want. If not, upgrade the speakers.

Nothing to lose going one step at a time, other than the satisfaction of having everything done.

I used a high quality line output converter to feed my amp. When I used the speaker leads directly into the amp, I wasn't happy with the sound volume. The line output converter enabled me to boost the signal coming into the amp so I got the sound I wanted, without the amp gains having to be so hight that it introduced extra noise into the signal - like turn on/off pops and the sound of the cd mechanism changing tracks.

I used two wiring harnesses to get the signal from the factory radio, feed the amp, and get the amped signal back to the factory wiring. Worked great with no wire cutting.

Reverse Harness

Found the harness... (thumb) actually at my local Circuit City. I didn't actually receive it yet, but they had to special order it. Should be here in a week. I'll see how it goes...

Chiguy_2002 said:
I'm looking for the harnesses, especially the reverse harness...where did you get yours?

ok guys i wanna change out all the speakers in my 2000 protege LX, could u tell me the sizes ill need and maybe a brand recommendation, i currently have a pioneer head unit, with stock speakers and 2 12" subs powered by a 600w jbl amp if that matters.

harness

Chiguy_2002 said:
Found the harness... (thumb) actually at my local Circuit City. I didn't actually receive it yet, but they had to special order it. Should be here in a week. I'll see how it goes...

What is the harness needed for. What is the part Number?
I going to be adding an AMP, willl I need this puppy? (lol2)

Part Numbers: Metra: 70-7903, 71-7903 into factory radio. These are the part numbers for my 2002 Protege5, not sure what you have...

The 71-7903 is a reverse harness that will plug into the factory radio, the 70-7903 is a harness that will plug into the factory wiring harness. Both of these harnesses are used to avoid cutting the factory wiring harness, to hook up an external amp and LOC. (spin)

p5tom said:
What is the harness needed for. What is the part Number?
I going to be adding an AMP, willl I need this puppy? (lol2)

Last edited:
P5 or 3 ?

1sty said:
I like the amp, I don't like the speakers but as I have said thats on a per person basis as long as you like them for you then so do I. They should be a nice match with the amp though. You can get all this stuff from tweeter though. They should be able to order all of it. I don't remember a 10W3 being much deeper then an 8W3. You can have one of my 8W3s for $75 if you like. They are a year old and I only used them for 4 months. They are dual 2 ohm subs so they can give you either a 4 or 1 ohm load.

Box volume and sealing is all that is really important. After that its typicaly said to have atleast 1" behind the magnet in the box before the rear wall. An 8w0 will do fine with the amp.

Hi, the 6 x 9 u fit in the rear with no mods? and is the this a P5? (naughty)

P5 or a 3?

dmitrik4 said:
thanks for the suggestions guys.

what do you think?

Amp: Alpine MRP-F320 40WX4, 120WX1, $250 from Crutchfield

Front Components: Kenwood KFC-P683C, 6"X8" + 3/4". $160 from Crutchfield

Rear Deck: Kenwood KFC-6905S, 6X9 $80 from Tweeter.

Sub: here's the question. the 10s seem to need too deep a box...One 8" might work better. and be cheaper than 2 6s...

JL Audio 8W3, 125W RMS, $150 from Tweeter.

does anyone know anything about the 8W04? it's not listed on JL's site. it's a lot cheaper ($80), but is rated at 100W. so the 125W channel should still be ok?

the box that JL describes is 16X9X6.8...but 16X11X5.6 gives me the same volume. from what i've read, box geometry doesn't matter as long as you end up w/ the same volume. correct?

i would probably end up having to do this a piece at a time, and then maybe just install everything at once when it gets warm out again...looks like i can do it for under $750. hopefully. ;)

thanks for your help...

any mods needed for the 6 x 9s
(nana) (nana)

Question

Ok, I have a question. I have a 2003.5 MSP and I am going to get a new kenwood HU. Will the stock kenwood wire harness just plug into the new kenwood unit I am buying? Not sure if they are standardized like that or not....

meth

Meth0d said:
Ok, I have a question. I have a 2003.5 MSP and I am going to get a new kenwood HU. Will the stock kenwood wire harness just plug into the new kenwood unit I am buying? Not sure if they are standardized like that or not....

meth
For 99% of units, yes.

altspace said:
I've also read that the stock subwoofer in my 2003.5 P5 is made by Pioneer.
Yes the sub and enclosure are discontinued Pioneer parts that they OEM for manufactureres now. They are still on the aftermarket in Europe.

Can someone give me some info on mounting the msp radio pocket? I have heard that screws and a metal bracket might be needed, any info will help :)

ibanez78 said:
Can someone give me some info on mounting the msp radio pocket? I have heard that screws and a metal bracket might be needed, any info will help :)
The pocket will hold itself in because of the rear support that snaps in place. However, the bar and 2 screws are used to hold the pockets top and the headunits bottom securly.

Last edited:
Jspec said:
It's not out til next month or so but the model number made by scosche dash kit for the Mazda 3 is MA1536.

1sty, I had a question for you, what do you think of this new panasonic cd player?

www.crutchfield.com/S-iwo3PHwomgR/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=300&I=133C9800&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N&search=

What speaker will fit the rear door without the window touching it? Size or a specific model would be nice, thanks.
I'll add the kit, thanks

I don't have any experiecne with that deck.

According to crutchfield, the windows won't ever get in the way of the speakers so you have more depth then you could eve need in the rear doors. I never visualy verified this though.

Question for the audio gurus...I'm looking to do a clean install (speakers and amp) and keep the stock head unit. I'm looking at various components for the front doors and came across an Alpine 5x7 Type-S, which have a decent freq. response range but it seems that the cones are over-glorified paper. For $199 a pair I'd hope not. Any thoughts on Alpine speakers? Also, considering I find a compatible size (diameter) would the stock tweeter locations be too shallow for aftermarket tweeters?

Other than that, any way to get decent bass out of the stock locations without putting a sub in the back. I need all the hatch space I can get, so I'd rather not go there.

mcstark said:
Question for the audio gurus...I'm looking to do a clean install (speakers and amp) and keep the stock head unit. I'm looking at various components for the front doors and came across an Alpine 5x7 Type-S, which have a decent freq. response range but it seems that the cones are over-glorified paper. For $199 a pair I'd hope not. Any thoughts on Alpine speakers? Also, considering I find a compatible size (diameter) would the stock tweeter locations be too shallow for aftermarket tweeters?

Other than that, any way to get decent bass out of the stock locations without putting a sub in the back. I need all the hatch space I can get, so I'd rather not go there.
I wouldn't worry about Frequency response stats much. They aren't an exact comparision and most no one can actualy hear to the extream highs most any speaker can play to. I personaly can not hear above around 17.5K hz. Using your own ears is the only way you should compare speakers.

Also, papers not a bad thing, its actualy makes a really good speaker metarial. Its all about execution, it can be cheap or very high quality. The only reason you should even bother with knowing the material a speaker cone is made out of is for longevity. The Alpine Type S should last you a good long time, so no worry there.

The alpines are a decent speaker although not high on my list. I'm not a big fan of them, in sound only mind you. You need to be the judge of that. Take a listen to them against some compeditors like JL, polk, eclipse, boston acoustic, Pioneer, rockford fosgate, focal.....ou get the idea :D

Back