Speaker Sizes, Harnesses and Kits of all Mazdas

GerardPRO5 said:
the shop manual indicates that it's either a Clarion, Panasonic, or something else (not Nakamichi).

if it was Nakamichi, Mazda would have made a big deal marketing the cars because of the stock systems...

Not really as Nak has a very small fallowing compared to Kenwood in the aftermaket. Remember most people still shop at best buy.

Also consider that Alpine has made BMW and Honda radios and electronics for year yet they only advertise Bose.

Also keep in mind that Nak or whoever has to build the radio o mazdas specs and that spec may not be on par with what nak wants there name associated with. Much like the recent fall through with Honda and B&W speakers. Honda wanted to be able to throw the B&W name around even on cars not so equipt and B&W, being the high quality company they are, told honda to go to hell.

GerardPRO5 said:
think about it...Nakamichi is years ahead of Kenwood in terms of sound quality and high fidelity, but Mazda emphasizes the Kenwood stock system in the MP3 and Mazdaspeed.

...but a Nakamichi stock sound system...we don't need to emphasize that.

Nak isn't really far ahead of Kenwood. They both have had there fare share of bad reliability records and each chose a different path. Kenwood decided to make more radios that more people wanted. AKA bulls*** dancing lights and stupid sound circuits with no actual point. Nak has tried to take the high road and set themselves as a no nonses deck for audiophiles. Kenwood could easily best them with there simply overpowering ability to throw money at a situation but that wouldn't be profitable so they wont.

i got a question..
i removed the door panel last week and the stock is 5x7...
but how is it possible that 5x7s AND 6x8 speakers fit??? why are the 6x8 not too big???

btw:i found a speaker set which is (here in german onlineshops) ADVERTISED as beeing special replacement speakers for actual mazda 323/626 and ford focus...
pioneer TS-H683 ... 6x8 3way 180/50w :)
what do you think about those? LINK

Last edited:
6x8 and 5x7 are the same size in the aftermarket. They are interchangable.

Don't buy any speaker before listening to them.

hm,well it's not that easy with listening to the speakers since almost nobody is selling those 5x7/... here :(
but i'm always looking into those huge customer services/forums like ciao.com or dooyoo.de before buying some product which is unknown to me... that's all i can do :(

hm, but i still have to ask a second time: WHY are they the same? i mean 5x7=12,7cmX17,78cm ... and 6x8=15,24cmX20,32cm .. if they're always fully compatible there has to be a reason for that since a mountin hole cannot have 2 sizes at the same time :)

Do they sell 6x8s? Its the same size.Manufacturers may make the speakers slightly larger, however the basket and hole openings in the doors are all but the same szie its just mounting lips that are bigger and other BS. The aftermarket picked up on that a long time ago and now most 5x7/6x8 are listed as the same size and have oval mounting holes to accomidate either type.

i have a 4-channel amplifier i would like to use with the stock system. does the receiver have preamp outputs for this? or will i have to use the lines coming from the receiver as inputs for the amplifier? i was thinking maybe if i used the amplifier, i wouldn't have to raise the volume much especially since distortion comes in if it's raised high enough. i think the stock speakers would do for now.. can i get an opinion? the amplifier is an alpine MRP-F200; it puts out 40W RMS x 4 at 4 ohms

I have an 02 ES sedan. The stock speakers that come with this model are very light weight, paper cones with wizzer cones for tweeters. They are made by Pioneer and say they can handle up to 25 watts.

I upgraded my speakers first, then added an amp (4x40watts). You can try the amp upgrade and see if it gives you the sound you want. If not, upgrade the speakers.

Nothing to lose going one step at a time, other than the satisfaction of having everything done.

I used a high quality line output converter to feed my amp. When I used the speaker leads directly into the amp, I wasn't happy with the sound volume. The line output converter enabled me to boost the signal coming into the amp so I got the sound I wanted, without the amp gains having to be so hight that it introduced extra noise into the signal - like turn on/off pops and the sound of the cd mechanism changing tracks.

I used two wiring harnesses to get the signal from the factory radio, feed the amp, and get the amped signal back to the factory wiring. Worked great with no wire cutting.

shizzbeatz said:
i have a 4-channel amplifier i would like to use with the stock system. does the receiver have preamp outputs for this? or will i have to use the lines coming from the receiver as inputs for the amplifier? i was thinking maybe if i used the amplifier, i wouldn't have to raise the volume much especially since distortion comes in if it's raised high enough. i think the stock speakers would do for now.. can i get an opinion? the amplifier is an alpine MRP-F200; it puts out 40W RMS x 4 at 4 ohms

The stock steroe does not have preout and yes youy can use the speaker level inputs on the amp with the facotry radio.

Need some Help.

I'm looking to get the MA03 harness at sounddomain but they have a B at the end of the MA03... then they have a note saying that the "B" stands for only speaker wires.. no power wires,etc. Where can I get a full harness for the P5?

The Mazda3 is still pretty new. It might take a little bit for kits to be made available.

Yeah i know the mazda 3 is still new i am just curious how the dash comes off and how much room there is fir other goodies.

You want to drive up to Orlando one day and maybe we can take yours apart and get all the information?

perhaps we could get a set of pics of the install kits actually installed. Would be nice to see them before we buy them.

OK so I just wanted to make sure I have this right. I have an 01 sedan and as I am understanding it, I have 6.5s in the back doors right? I would rather not take the door panels off to look. I would rather only take them off once, and run wires, install speakers, etc. all at once. Thanks

the holes are for off-sized 6.0" factory speakers. But basically here's how it works. is that if you trim off a plastic ring (think top 1" of a coffeecan) that extends back from the door panel then you can fit a 6.5, or you could fit a 5-1/4 without trimming. Either way you'll need to frill new mounting tholes, ad the as the stock locations are a very odd asymmetrical 3-bolt setup.

HOWEVER... in a sedan I'm prettysure that unless it's a MSP, your rear speakers should be 6x9's in the rear deck. Either way I really wouldn't worrymuch about rear speakers, get a nice strong front soundstage going and then do rear later if you really feel you still need it. Thatsaid, If you really want to upgrade your rear speakers, If you're willing to pull wires (it's fairly easy for rear doors) then I'd favor a rear door mount over a rear deck.

Last edited:
Back