Speaker Sizes, Harnesses and Kits of all Mazdas

Re: Harness, Kits, speaker size of all Proteges, Mazda 6, and radio removal toools

1st MP3 in NH said:
STOCK P5 HEAD UNIT PIN OUT:

pin%20out%20for%20p5.bmp

Pic from:

http://www.astolfo.com/p5/p5install.asp?track=5&mode=1

Pin #: Wire Color - Use

Pin 1: Green / Orange - Rear Right Speaker (-)
Pin 2: Green - Rear Right Speaker (+)
Pin 3: Brown - Rear Left Speaker (-)
Pin 4: Brown / White - Rear Left Speaker (+)
Pin 5: White - Front Right (-)
Pin 6: Red - Front Right (+)
Pin 7: Black / White - Front left (-)
Pin 8: Black / Brown - Front Left (+)
Pin 9: Black - Ground
Pin 10: Pink / Black - Switched power, coonect to red wire in aftermarket harness.
Pin 11: White / Blue - Dimmer, not typicaly used for an aftermarket radio
Pin 12: Green / Black - Illumination, thanks twizyours
Pin 13: Blue / Red - Contasnt Power aka Battery aka Memory, connect to yellow wire in aftermarket harness.

So is Pin 11 or 12 the one that only gets power when the head lights are on?

12, is the wire you want.
The dimmer is never something to screw with unless you have a multimeter and you test it forst to ensure it works ok with the radio you will be using.

1st MP3 in NH said:
12, is the wire you want.
The dimmer is never something to screw with unless you have a multimeter and you test it forst to ensure it works ok with the radio you will be using.

Ok, I've got an '02 ES and the wiring harness I got from Crutchfield has an orange wire that says Illumination, but the wire with the corresponding label on my Kenwood is orange/white. This may be a silly question, but is it correct to assume those wires go together? Every other wire has the exact colored wire on both harnesses except that one. I just don't want to blow that damned thing up before I get a chance to use it!! It's also not crucial to me that the unit dims at night, but it'd be nice if it did...

If the kenwood is labeled illumination then its fine if its labeled dimmer then it isn't.
Many manufactures use there own standards from time to time. If it says illumination its cool.

Last edited:
You connect the illumination wire to the illumination in the alpine.
Not the dimmer. Do not connect the dimmer wire to the alpine.

Stock Deck Illumination Wire

I plan to use a standard and reverse wiring harness to add an amp to my '02 Protege sedan. I understand that the wiring harnesses available from Schosche and Metra are missing the pins to connect the illumination features of the standard head unit.

I've read that Mazda uses a two wire system for the deck's illumination features. I'd like to retain both the stock illumination features and the stock wiring harness, if at all possible.

Can anyone that has used the wiring harnesses with the stock deck tell me how they got the illumination (including dimming with headlight activation) to work?

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Dimmers won't work for an aftermarket radio most of the time, don't use them.
The metra harness does have illumination from the brief glance I got of it. You may want to get the metra harnes and the scosche reverse harness as it is more easily found.

sharkonwheels said:
Does anyone make a Double DIN dash kit for the P5?

(laserp5)

For What?
To get 2 units in their.
If so, then its not needed. Just need to make a middle support.

Hey MP3...

Check out the system I'm considering in my sig. Since the Pioneer DEH-940MP puts 50watts x 4 channels... Do you think I'll really need the 4channel amp or will I be able to get away with just the HU?

Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance bro...

The radi may be enoug for the components but it is not substitutable for a good external amplifier. Remeber the 50x4 is mzx and a complete BULL s*** number. Basicly irrelevant. realisticly expect 15-18 clean watts from the headunit. ANy headunit. The alpine V-drives can crank out a a bit more then 20 watts rms but still not as much as a amp.

First I wanted to thank all those that typed up the instructions on the coat hanger removal tools. The info helped a bunch.

Just to inform those trying to do this with added info. There are two little vertical plastic covers on either side of the stock unit covereing the holes. To expose the holed you must remove these covers. I used a tiny screwdriver to loosen them from the inside edge just enough to get a good angle behind them. I can see these breaking easily if you dont use a little care and patience taking them off.

When I created the tools per the instructions shown in the photo up above, I found that a standard coat hanger wasn't stiff enough to readily release the mechanism inside. I instead was able to use the kind of coat hanger that is coated with vinyl, and strip off the vinyl where the tools will go into the holes. These types of coat hangers are thicker/ stiffer and dont flex near as much as the standard ones, and have a better matching diameter to the holes they go into. When you pull outward to release the mechanism with a standard one it flexes with out fully releasing the springed clips inside, the stiffer type works much more effectively.

Here is what I did to make the removal and tool creation easier:

I made up four 6-inch straight pieces of the stiffer coat hanger wire and stripped off the vinyl where it goes into the holes. I bent a loop into each of the outer ends to have spot for your fingertips to grip into. I didnt bother with trying to make u-shape tools because it really isnt necessary. I did however make the 7" wide tool as prescribed. It's the one you pull on when you've got the the other tools in place.

Using this method I was able to get it out on the first try.

Hope this helps.

I don't recall anyone giving me the box mounting depth in the MSP. Take the sub out and measure the thing.

I am looking for the depth and volume. I'd take it apart myself, but I was hoping someone else already did. I'm lazy but I want a new sub.

That been around for a while but I never heard anything confirmed. Someone else has mentioned the unit was either a clarion, pioneer or panasonic.

the shop manual indicates that it's either a Clarion, Panasonic, or something else (not Nakamichi).

if it was Nakamichi, Mazda would have made a big deal marketing the cars because of the stock systems...

think about it...Nakamichi is years ahead of Kenwood in terms of sound quality and high fidelity, but Mazda emphasizes the Kenwood stock system in the MP3 and Mazdaspeed.

...but a Nakamichi stock sound system...we don't need to emphasize that.

/sarcasm

:)

in any case...I'm in the market for upgrading my speakers and adding an amp...

the stock HU (whether or not it's made by Nakamichi) is decent.

Back