Speaker Sizes, Harnesses and Kits of all Mazdas

hello,
i just installed a sony CD player with an amplifier and sub. Now the problem i am getting is that the lights for the air conditioner & air direction knob is not turning on when i put on the headlight.

Anyone know where the problem is because before i install the nre CD player everything was working fine..

Thanks.

I don't know how to set the dimmer. can you please explain to me how to do it because in the plug that is connected to the head unit i did not use pin 11 which is (Pin 11: White / Blue - Dimmer, not typicaly used for an aftermarket radio)..

So how can i sort this out please?

Thanks

there is a knob on the lower left part of the dash that makes your interior lights brighter/darker. It also controls your instrument panel backlight so if you drive at night and can't see the speedometer it is probably the dimmer. Once you find that and confirm it is set properly and you still don't have light in your A/C control unit, you may need to replace the light for the A/C control unit. I've never done this before so I can't help with that.

NOTE: For aftermarket units, bolt ground wire directly to frame of car instead of using chassis ground wire on harness. Using the harness ground almost always introduces alternator whine.

I am about to install a Kenwood KDC-X592 ,and after reading this I was wondering, as this is my first head unit install, where is the easiest place to bolt the ground wire directly to the frame?

NOTE: For aftermarket units, bolt ground wire directly to frame of car instead of using chassis ground wire on harness. Using the harness ground almost always introduces alternator whine.

I am about to install a Kenwood KDC-X592 ,and after reading this I was wondering, as this is my first head unit install, where is the easiest place to bolt the ground wire directly to the frame?

I am going to have to argue with that.
I have installed no less a 100 head units and have never had an instance where installing a separate ground for the head unit stopped alternator noise.
Whenever I have run into alternator noise its been a rather consistant batch of issues:
1. RCAs or high level input wiring are running next to amplifier power wires.
2. Bad equipment, seen this in head units, amps, and EQs, just swapping the unit with another of the same model solved the problem.
3. Caroded power wire connections. I only saw this once but the amp was getting only 9 volts, once investigated, from the battery to the amp side of th epower wire fuse was dropping 5 volts for rusted out connections. Replaced these and all was well.
4. Connecting an aftermarket headunit into a car with an older Bose system that simply can not handle the input levels from the new headunits speaker outputs or RCA outputs.

In the several instances where I had alternator noise, a seperate headunit ground never solved it. Not to say it can't. It just was never my probem.

I am not sure if this has been said yet, but I will now.

This past weekend I went to install JL Audio TR-600CXI (6" Coaxials) into the rear doors of my Protege5. The rear doors DO NOT take a 6" replacement the best. They take a 6.5" replacement the best. I had to make an adapter baffel out of wood to get them to fit.

*smack*

I am so glad they only cost me $65 for BNiB, because otherwise I wasn't interesting in the hassle of making them fit.

2001-2003 Protege Sedan
Metra: 70-7903, 71-7903 into factory radio - This is a female connector
Scosche: MA03, MA03R into factory radio NO DIMMER OR ILLUMINATION - These are male [reverse connectors].
Best Kits: None listed

plz make that change.,,i almost ran into buying the male.,.,.,

Last edited:
After-market wiring conversion.

Hey all, I have an '01 protege and am putting in a head unit and need to find a wire conversion so I don't have to go splicing wires etc in the stock wiring. I saw some photos on the original post that had the kit I was looking for but I'm unable to find these online anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you much! Man, these things don't come cheap do they? Guess that's the price you pay if you ever want to re-sell the car w/o the aftermarket radio haha.

Hi. Sorry but this is my first posting here but I am looking for information I can't seem to get up here.
I just purchased a 2010 B2300 extended cab pickup and wish to have my Sony deck I had in my Mazda3 I traded in, installed into my truck. No one seems to know what dash kit would be needed or what harness either. Everyone has up to 2008 in their computers. I also was told by a Mazda parts manager this morning, that installing an aftermarket deck might affect my warrantee, which I think is a load of crap. And.. What would be the best deal out there for a replacement speaker, 6X8?

Thanks
Paul

speaker sizes

hey all,
I have a 2000 protege es and noticed that in the rear doors there are places for speakers but none in there, I am curious if the wiring is already in there too? if it is it it aleady connected to the radio, and what sizes speakers fit in those holes?
thanks
matt

Wiring is most likely not there but the openings will fit 6" and 5.25" speakers. Some but not all 6.5" speakers fit. FYI, read the rear speaker discussion thread to find out why we don't recommend rear speakers let alone 2 sets of them.

Last edited:
Back