P5 in SCCA runoffs on SPEED now...

He just placed about 7th. New car for him, he used to run an MX-3. He lives in South Carolina, name is Daniel Robson.

Britt

Yeah, I saw this yesterday. It was a rather pleasant surprise. I was thinking, damn, that Civic sure looks like a P5 (looked like an early 90's hatch from the distance they kept showing it) until they had a closeup. Awsome.

I think the P5 you saw is a FrankenCar, fully tube framed, with a GLC motor, 13" wheels, running GT-5 class or something.

don't SSC cars have to less than 5 years old? If so, you would only have one season with that car in SSC......however you could build it for a different class and it would be a very good starter car to race for a year in the stock class and then change classes.

dmitrik4 said:
i don't know...good point though. i suppose you could run it well in IT?
IT has an age restriction as well. I want to say it's 7 years, but I could very well be wrong. IIR, I'll check the rules tomorrow.

kcbhiw said:
IT has an age restriction as well. I want to say it's 7 years, but I could very well be wrong. IIR, I'll check the rules tomorrow.
wow...at first my brain interpreted that as "you must be 7 years old to drive in IT." (boom03)

i remember a guy bringing his 2nd-gen IT integra to some of our autoX events. but maybe that's why he was autoXing it.

i suppose my road racing ignorance is showing now. you know what they say: if autoX were any easier... ;)

Alrighty, I just checked. IT cars must be 5 years old to compete. So a SS car is allowed to run in IT, after it has become to old to run in SS.

I finally caught the race while I was at work tonight. Yes, my job is that cool. I have Speed Channel at work...I don't even have regular cable at home. The car was driven by Daniel Robson from Moore, SC. I'm still digging for info on the car and the driver. He finished 8th though...not a bad showing. The announcer called it a heavy stationwagon...I wanted to punch the TV, but then I remembered he was right.

SCCA results link

You guys are overlooking one thing...IT rules disallow any station wagons. Why this is I don't know, I assume that they think it has a higher CG, which is true, but really, how many P5s flip going around turns. The problem with the MAzda is that it is heavy and underpowered. There should be a natural progression of cars from SSC to IT to Production to GT. But IT is not a national class, only regional.

Britt

the SSC car i posted is a sedan.

IMO, the P5 is a 5-door hatch, like the ZX5, the integra "sedan," or the Golf. ;)

There is a "sidebar" article about this GT-5 Protege5 in the current issue of "Sportscar", which is the monthly publication of the SCCA. It apparently has a GLC motor, and is far beyond simply modified, and is in fact a full-on race car. It appears to have maybe 13" wheels, tube framed, etc. The body may be just a skin over an older chassis.

Back