Rock chips in my windshield!!!

fastdrvr23

Contributor
:
03' Silverado, 03' P5
How many other people here have rock chips in their windshield?

I was chip free until yesterday on the way home... I got THREE in the span of about 10 minutes!!!! ARGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
I purposely drive with about 5 C/L's between me and the car in front to keep from getting any rocks thrown up on me. Some damned dump truck about 50 yards ahead of me was throwing rocks all over the place. Since the roads are so bad around here, I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. Anyways, we have a deal at work with a company called G1-Glass where the fix it for free if you show your employee id. I am going this afternoon to try them out.

At any rate, I was just wondering who else has had this happen...

yep, got one on vacation during the summer. Damn pick-up driving slow in the fast lane, during the pass his back tire threw up a rock. Had it patched a few weeks later...almost good as new.

I have one crack that hasn't started to spread, YET. The same rock that did it also gouged outa button-sized chunk-it's not a crack, just a chip. I can't stand looking at it but don't know how much windshiel repair is/if it works.

I always try to remain far away from and kinda truck (dump truck or personal), but sometimes you can't get away from them. If there are other people on the road, I'll hide behind them and let them hit the rocks. :D

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
... If there are other people on the road, I'll hide behind them and let them hit the rocks. :D

LOL! I do the exact same thing! :)

Did I read that right in your sig... A 13b rotary pickup?? Coolness! Hmmm, /me thinks a 13BT would be pretty damn cool too. ;)

That is correct! It's gonna be a bad mamma-jamma...Actually a lot of the REPU guys like to put the 2nd gen RX-7 twin turbo setup in their trucks! :D

REPU=Rotary Engine PickUp

I have a small chip in the windshield of my '97 Civic. Local auto glass shop quoted me $54 to fix it, supposedly the insurance company will pay the $54 to keep it from spreading and forcing a complete replacement. I haven't called the Insurance guy yet to comfirm, as I'm paranoid enough to pay for it out of pocket and keep the claim off of my record. Jim

Jim Frye said:
I have a small chip in the windshield of my '97 Civic. Local auto glass shop quoted me $54 to fix it, supposedly the insurance company will pay the $54 to keep it from spreading and forcing a complete replacement. I haven't called the Insurance guy yet to comfirm, as I'm paranoid enough to pay for it out of pocket and keep the claim off of my record. Jim

I think that is intelligence more than paranoia. I'd pay out of pocket =)

Most insurance compainies will do it for free/next to free, so they don't have to replace it later. Your premiums shouldn't go up too much for a $50-60 claim.

Our's works that way too. Free to fix, otherwise your deductible ($100 - $500) to replace. It has no direct effect either way on your premiums.

Back