MP3 struts ....

Mine is in the shop as of yesterday getting the struts redone. Has anyone else gotten new struts, I want to make sure that the part number is right once I get it back. I was up yesterday, they had the old struts out lying on the ground, but I never seen the new ones, so I'm hoping their not stun enough to try and put ES struts in her...although should be easy enough to see the difference.

Oh, the Mazda of Canada Western District rep is coming out this way today. We purposely left the car there so he could see it when he arrives. I doubt very much that they'll actually compensate me, or actually FIX anything.....but at least he should see it first hand now. Might be wasting my time....but all I can do is try to BEAT IN THEIR HEADS that something is wrong

I love my car..... I hate my clunks and squeaks.

I mentioned this in another thread. They've been squeaking REALLY bad. I asked if they could just grease them up, but they decided to just replace them. I can't complain.

Before anyone starts....I know cold makes these squeak. Found that out last winter....but the squeak never really did go away in the summer, and it just got worse and worse as the year went on. Now that is getting colder again, they squeak REALLY bad now to the point where I can't even hear the radio at times.

So, I got new ones.....can't complain there. Assuming they don't beat up my rims for the 3rd time.

I dont think you need to worry about getting ES struts. The struts on the MP3 fit only the MP3 due to welding of a bracket for reinforcement on the swaybar. The ES struts probably would not fit. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Chris

Well, it's been an interesting day. My dealership kept my car all day, and yesterday so that the Western Mazda dsitrict Manager whatever he's called .... bigwig...could see it. Apparantly this guy has been into MAzda for quite a long time, and was a mechanic as well. But, he just took over the district manager job and is very good to deal with.

Anyhow, he seen and heard the history on my car. Immediatly he started calling around to some of the largest MAzda dealers in Canada. Some dealers, which sold the MP3 claimed they have never heard of such a problem with the mp3. that problem being the Clunk....or the my squeaky shocks. So, Mazda of Canada is still trying to avoid it after 1 year of people bitching. Anyhow, he finally got a hold of one of the senior mechanics in Canada. apparantly, at least this is what i was told ok, this particular mechanic has been one for near 30 years. When someone in Canada can't find a fix for something....they call this guy. So, this mr. know it all says a few things they can try. Keep in mind, I now have New swaybars, bushings, links. All 1 month old. And now new struts. I'll get to the struts later on.... So, he says, maybe something is causing stress onto the bushings, therefore, causing them to wear extremely quick. He said to immediatly take the car and get a proper alignment, and specifically check the camber. I don't know how bad she was off yet, I'll know when I see the paper tomorrow. Anyways, he says, maybe as the car turns, and since there is little give in the suspension being as it is, then the "weakest" part is taking all of the weight...this is of course assuming that the camber is off a LOT. So, my car got a free alignment today. Which is good, because I wanted one anyways. I almost laughed when I heard this....but hey, if it works...great.

Anyhow, I'm at work this whole entire time, and didn't know anything that was going and was filled in later when I went up to Mazda to get the car which wasn't ready yet, because she was getting the alignment done. So, I told the manager to take her home for me, as he lives up the road from me, and I know him well. So, I took his Van...very nice van, loaded with ground effects and all... and went home. I get a call later on, and it's the manager, and he says car is ready, you can still come and get it, or wait until I get off, and I'll bring it over to you. I thought, lets make him drive it home. Why? because I knew after getting the struts done, nothing would be fixed. And he was getting off late, when it was really cold out, so if the car was going to make a noise, now is a good time.

So, apparantly he got in the car, never drove 10 feet, and heard all of the same noises. This is after getting the new struts, and everything getting put back together today. Needless to say, he was not happy. So, he gets a hold of the district manager big shot dude....and now, 3 weeks from now, if the car isn't fixed by then...there are 3 REALLY bigwigs ( I don't know there positions, just some high up guys ) coming in, and their going to see my car.

Whew....I hate typing this much

So, it looks like something is on the go here. Whether or not something comes of it, I don't know....but Mazda of Canada CAn not say they don't know after today. I mean EVERYONE was called about this today.

Apparantly, they are making my car a priority...whatever that means. Long overdue if you ask me. Sad thing is, I don't see anything ever getting done about this.

Time will tell. I have to call on Friday about the "next step".

I'll update....stay tuned if interested.

Wish me luck too.

i got my new bushings installed today, and let me tell ya, its a big differance to me at least. the road i live on is kinda bumpy, and coming home not one squeak or thud, i was so happy. lets just hope that it holds up....

ive got a slight strut squeak too, but of course when they went to test drive the car it didn't do it. maybe if i keep complaining they will accually do something about it. but probably not...

Last edited:
I also started a thread about this. Because I am also haveing my bushings replaced i also asked if they would take a look at the loud squeeks when its cold. they looked in to it and the mechanic told me that the noises are all more than likely comming from the loose bushings on the swaybars(front and rear). Mine is suposedly getting replace tomorrow if the parts come in.... Ill let you know on the follow up.

for all of you that are new around here, let me just say, I'm kinda known as the clunk fellow around here, only because I've had the most troubles with them. Everything you new guys are going through, I went through a year ago.

Your new bushings will feel better. The car will seem tighter, but, it only last a little while, depending on where you live, what roads your driving on, bumpy or not bumpy, what temperature it is where you live, does it rain a lot etc. Basically, I live where the roads are crap, it rains a lot, gets really cold at times and sooner in the year....and longer as well.

s***, I shold just move. But, joking aside, my bushings wear faster then some guy living in California, driving on smooth roads, in Summer temperatures all year long. So, whether or not your bushings last long or not, your environment has a large effect on it.

Anyhow, good luck, but before you say you found a fix, make sure those bushings are on for at least 8 weeks.

Oh, for the record, the new struts are awesome. Car feels new again, REALLY tight in the rear.....still squeaks though :)

YUP HAVING HTE SAME DIFFICULITES WITH MY DLR...THEY DONT KNOW WHAT NOISE I AM TALKIN ABOUT..WTF!!!!!....ARE U SERIOUS IT IS PLAIN A SDAY ...AND TODAY I HEARD IT IN THE FRNT AS WELL

newf said:
Oh, for the record, the new struts are awesome. Car feels new again, REALLY tight in the rear.....still squeaks though :)

Newf,

Keep us posted on how this turns out and if you can get the anems of the poeple you are talking to at Mazda Canada. I have a bunch of squeeking most of the time, although I can still hear the radio :D

Apparently I'm the only MP3 in Calgary that has ever seen this problem. Or as I like to think of it, I'm the only one who has brought it to their attention!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. These are not luxury car struts. They are struts made for extremely good performance. Squeekiness in extreme temperatures was probably not even a concern at the time of manufacturing.

Chris

"Squeekiness in extreme temperatures was probably not even a concern at the time of manufacturing."

Well, that's obvious, but it doesn't excuse it. Besides, I can live with the squeak, and write it off as a "characteristic of High Performance shocks". Although, I don't know anyone with another type of car that has the shock problem. My real gripe is the clunk, and it's an obvious design flaw, and Mazda needs to step up, get of it's ass and do something about it.

I mean, come on. It's dead obvious it's the bushings clunking. I mean, I replace them....the noise goes away. Maybe for a month, but the point is, it went away. Obviously, it's the bushings. Now, name one other car in the world that has to go back to the dealer every month to get the bushings redone.

There is no excuse....Mazda f'd up. And, because we are a small minority, bottom line is, they don't care. I've even had some people from Mazda Indicate to me, that maybe that is the case. Heck, there's only 1500 mp3's right. Say, half of them at most are complaining about bushings. So what? who cares right. They tried a fix, that didn't work. That's the only effort they needed right. Screw it, let all the mp3 owners buy mazdaspeeds so we can cash in on it again.

Right whatever. I've already said, eithier fix the problem, or I'm getting rid of it, and I will NOT buy another Mazda knowing that they will only ignore or refuse to fix another problem on my next car. And imagine, the next one has a Turbo....omfg, what's going to go wrong with that?

Mazda of Canada:
"sorry, we're not aware of any clunking problem sir"

Newf !!!
" but this is my 159th time calling you guys complaining about. And I started it in Oct 2001. AND, I watched a technician do a tech flash on it back in Dec 2001, and report it via computer."

Mazda of Canada:

I swear to god I get better and smarter service from Mcdonalds then this Mazda Tech line bulls$%^. Even my own dealer gave up on the "tech line" or whatever it's called.

BS

Last edited:
Well, the way you spell it out here, "nothing" will be wrong with the Mazdaspeed, because they will "never hear about it"...

where do u take your mp3 to penny mazda west ?if so how do u find those guys 4 service? i bought my p5 there in july as a matter of faCT

where do u take your mp3 pennymazda west? if so how do find em 4 service ? i bought my p5 there in july as a matter of fact i think u were there that day on a friday afternoon . nice rig .:D

Small world. There was only one mp3 ever sold there, so that's me. Penney Mazda West have been fantastic to Deal with. The Manager (DP) has been more then helpful. I recommend them to everyone. I left Honda because of bad service, and overall attitude. If I buy another Mazda, at least I'll have the comfort of knowing I have a great dealership. Highly recommended.

Well, I got a call from the Dealer today. I missed the phone call, and he left a message. Said something along the lines that that district manager had gone back to the head office yesterday, and they had a huge meeting today involving most of the "big shots" . Anyhow, he says they may have found the fix for our troubles. I don't know any more information just yet, as I can't get a hold of him now, he's still on a call with Mazda Canada I think....for like an hour now.

Don't know what to think here. This might be just another "guess" on Mazda's behalf. Once I hear something else, I'll update. But, something is going on in Canada for sure today with the MP3's

Some of you may wonder why started bitching about this lately.

Think about it....their shiny new MSP is about to come out, and it's the start of their next big thing being the MAZDASPEED franchise. Seeing as the MSP is based on the MP3, anybody considering to buy the msp, at least anyone with half a clue would be concerned that the same troubles are going to happen to it as well. They know this. Bad publicity ain't going to do them no good with the MSP coming out now. It's in their best interest to fix this NOW. And it's in our best interest to start bitching NOW. Why? because once the MSP comes out.... they aren't going to care about us so much.

So, CALL YOUR DEALER NOW....TODAY, b****, yell whatever....make them KNOW something is wrong.

newf said:
"Squeekiness in extreme temperatures was probably not even a concern at the time of manufacturing."

Well, that's obvious, but it doesn't excuse it. Besides, I can live with the squeak, and write it off as a "characteristic of High Performance shocks". Although, I don't know anyone with another type of car that has the shock problem. My real gripe is the clunk, and it's an obvious design flaw, and Mazda needs to step up, get of it's ass and do something about it.

I mean, come on. It's dead obvious it's the bushings clunking. I mean, I replace them....the noise goes away. Maybe for a month, but the point is, it went away. Obviously, it's the bushings. Now, name one other car in the world that has to go back to the dealer every month to get the bushings redone.

There is no excuse....Mazda f'd up. And, because we are a small minority, bottom line is, they don't care. I've even had some people from Mazda Indicate to me, that maybe that is the case. Heck, there's only 1500 mp3's right. Say, half of them at most are complaining about bushings. So what? who cares right. They tried a fix, that didn't work. That's the only effort they needed right. Screw it, let all the mp3 owners buy mazdaspeeds so we can cash in on it again.

Right whatever. I've already said, eithier fix the problem, or I'm getting rid of it, and I will NOT buy another Mazda knowing that they will only ignore or refuse to fix another problem on my next car. And imagine, the next one has a Turbo....omfg, what's going to go wrong with that?

Mazda of Canada:

Newf !!!
" but this is my 159th time calling you guys complaining about. And I started it in Oct 2001. AND, I watched a technician do a tech flash on it back in Dec 2001, and report it via computer."

Mazda of Canada:

I swear to god I get better and smarter service from Mcdonalds then this Mazda Tech line bulls$%^. Even my own dealer gave up on the "tech line" or whatever it's called.

BS

Oh, I agree completely about the clunk. Trust me, I've been in there about 4 or 5 times now to get my bushings replaced. This is why I started a thread to get a bunch of signatures/peoples' stories, and I would mail them to a few people at Mazda, but nobody seemed interested. I'll TTT the post.

But I'm glad you realize that the type of struts you have on your car are most likely going to squeak in the cold. That was the point I'm trying to make. ;)

Chris

Back