What should I upgrade? HeadUnit or Amp?

ad_2001

I've read the entire thread about adding an 5-channel Amp can increase the sound quailty. I love you guys' opinions, but I'm also thinking if I should change the headunit first. Cause I can't find any 5-channel around here, and they only have the ALPINE 4-channel one (40 X 4) for $199. Some of them carry MTX products, What do you guys think of them, can they be the substitute of the Alpine 5-channel? How about just upgrading the headunit? I've been thinking the Alpine CDA7894, it says that it has 60 X 4, but I guess those sales told me that it's only about 30. Anyway, I don't know which one I should go for...Can you guys please help me out?

And.....if I'm going for the 4-channel, do you think it's OK cause I won't have the sub...and...will the sound quality increase with just the 4-channel?

Thank you So much!!!!

If a local dealer has a alpine 4 channel they can probably get the 5 also crutchfield has them. MTX is a decent amp also. If you don't want the sub the 5 channel is useless over a 4 channel. THe 4 channel will still add alot of SQ becuase of the extra clean power over a stock head unit or aftermarket and the crossovers.

The amp isn't to replace an aftermarket head unit but to get SQ without adding one. If you want to retain the stock unit to aviod theives or loosing the stock look then the amp is a good alternative. If you plan on a larger system other then a simple upgrade then the Aftermarket head unit is a good idea alond with an amp.

The 7894 is a good unit, MP3 and XM capable.

ad_2001 said:
I've read the entire thread about adding an 5-channel Amp can increase the sound quailty. I love you guys' opinions, but I'm also thinking if I should change the headunit first. Cause I can't find any 5-channel around here, and they only have the ALPINE 4-channel one (40 X 4) for $199. Some of them carry MTX products, What do you guys think of them, can they be the substitute of the Alpine 5-channel? How about just upgrading the headunit? I've been thinking the Alpine CDA7894, it says that it has 60 X 4, but I guess those sales told me that it's only about 30. Anyway, I don't know which one I should go for...Can you guys please help me out?

And.....if I'm going for the 4-channel, do you think it's OK cause I won't have the sub...and...will the sound quality increase with just the 4-channel?

Thank you So much!!!!

first off AD_2001, Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to our Club. There are TWO BIG fridge'S in the corner with anything you can think of in them...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. (stash)

make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!! (stash)

as 1st stated...if you have a dealer that carries Alpine, they can get you the 5 channel....all they have to do is order if for you....but if all you want to do is power the speakers you have now...and NOT add a sub...the 4 channel is all you need.

Well, I'm no audio expert, but...
assuming you have an mp3, I'd say go with the amp. You'd wind up spending a lot of $ to get a HU with the ouput quality of ours.

Back