Turbo engines with carburetors

peepsalot

Contributor
:
Black 03 MSP
Ok, I only have the most basic knowledge of how carburetors work. I understand it as a narrowing of air flow passage causes a low pressure area(venturi effect) that draws fuel in. So I'm wondering how one would still be able to function when pressurized air is being pushed through it?

There are two ways to run a carb turbo set-up. Either draw through or blow through.

Blow through seems to be the better route. You just have to make sure the carb is set up to deal with the pressure from the turbo. Otherwise the floats will break, fuel will shoot out and other cool things.

Go buy Maximum Boost by Corky Bell and...dang it.

There is another turbo book thgat specifically talks about blow-through set ups on carbs.

How is the Corvair set-up? lol That's probably not the best car to base ANYTHING on, but isn't that a Turbo'd carb from the factory?

Puckpimp71 said:
How is the Corvair set-up? lol That's probably not the best car to base ANYTHING on, but isn't that a Turbo'd carb from the factory?
I don't remember but I thought it was a blow through deal...

The Corvair is actually a pretty good car. All that BS from Nader was bunk and killed probably the coolest car GM ever built.

That's not entirely true... They were pretty interesting, but by the time GM got it right, nobody cared because they were all driving new Mustangs. 61-63 were pretty cool as long as you lived in an area that didn't require any turning. Sixty-nine percent of the weight was in the rear and there were no sway bars to add to an already poorly designed suspension).

the are some pretty fast turbo carb rotaries tunning is the key with those

Back