CAI vs SRI temps findings

:
12psi Protege5
I been doing some monitoring and other stuff with my car while I resolder all my MPI wiring, and found this very impressive.

CAI (Cold Air Intake)
SRI (Short Ram Intake)
AIT (Air Intake Temperature Sensor)

I used a radio shack digital OUT/IN Thermometer. It has wired a 10ft line with a probe, which I used to put inside the intake path, just by the AIT, 8-inches from the MAF.

People, I got surprised by the results:

With the CAI, while the outside temperature is 88F, AIT was ~96F while cruising and ~103F in heavy traffic.

With the SRI, same outside temps (~88F), AIT was ~125F while cruising, it goes up to ~140F as the car heats up, and in traffic it was OFF CHARTS (over 158F).

So...

there is...
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Nice. Seeing how the mass of the air is inversly preportional to the temperature. Lower temp = higer mass = higer power. See my recent thread in this forum regarding intake temperatures with the CryO2 system from DEI. Cooling the intake air yourself on hot days would be nice.

That's not all that surprising actually. A CAI should yeild colder temps because it is probably routed into the fender well out of the engine bay, whereas the SRI may be a shorter path for the air to travel it becomes victim to heatsoak from the motor and other hot stuff.

Colder air=denser air=good power
hot air=crap

but it goes into a ___ degree turbo making this irrelevant, the sole purpose of the intercooler is to cool the charge after it comes out of a bizillion degree turbo.

re-reading those results...

Why not hook a IAT monitor to tb to intercooler pipe and try sri vs. cai temp differences..?

BTW refering this to turbo application because from what I see he is in fact a turbo protege. These questions need not apply to N/A applications.

Last edited:
When i had my ram air setup w/ the turbo. It was sweet. I def felt the difference at nite and even the day.

I had to take it off b/c of the bad weather we have had in NJ w/ flooding.

Good findings Idgrasil.

Chas

MSP Chris said:
but it goes into a ___ degree turbo making this irrelevant, the sole purpose of the intercooler is to cool the charge after it comes out of a bizillion degree turbo.

re-reading those results...

Why not hook a IAT monitor to tb to intercooler pipe and try sri vs. cai temp differences..?

BTW refering this to turbo application because from what I see he is in fact a turbo protege. These questions need not apply to N/A applications.
if you get hotter air into the compressor, it will get even more hotter...(chair)

i guy did this on www.astina gt.com - australian forum. i hope he didnt steal the results from you or vice versa.

anyway, he found that stock system on the P5 was right in between the CAI and SRI for temps

I plan on doing a similar test on my modded sri with air ducted to it from the front bumper...after a drive the tubing is ambient temp and seems to sool quickly as I drive...I'm also wrapping mine in reflective insulation to help even more. Good post.

That's what i did. I got heating/Air Condition tape. And created a Shield to block the hot air from getting to my SRI.

Also i extended my ait wires and put it into my fender to make sure it alwayz reads colder air.

Chas

MSP Chris said:
why not test it anyways...?
its more difficult, plus the probes are more expensive. But that was my original idea. The thermometer I got was only $16.00 and its good for 158F max. So...I could only do this right now.

The probes for that should be good for 300F temps. Im sure turbine temps should be around 200F. Intercooler should get it down to 100F at least

Autometer has a product for that, but it costs $265+ Im not going to spend that much on that.

the air going into the turbo won't matter, as said before, once it goes through the intercooler/all the piping, whether short ram, cai, or no filter, it will probably be the same temp going into the engine...

mp5jeff said:
the air going into the turbo won't matter, as said before, once it goes through the intercooler/all the piping, whether short ram, cai, or no filter, it will probably be the same temp going into the engine...
See I have no facts to back up my opinion but that makes no sence to me. Do you really think no matter what the temp of air comming in the temp will be the same comming out. Why does the car pull harder on an ice cold day versus a warm sunny day.

I really don't think that is correct.

EvilMSP said:
See I have no facts to back up my opinion but that makes no sence to me. Do you really think no matter what the temp of air comming in the temp will be the same comming out. Why does the car pull harder on an ice cold day versus a warm sunny day.

The reason why it pulls harder on a ice cold nite..is not b/c of the cold air hitting the Air Filter.

It's b/c of the cold air that's getting to the Intercooler!
(rockon)

Well, my opinion is that on an ice cold day. All that cold air hitting the intercooler is helping to cool the intake charge before it gets to the throttle body. Thats why you see intercooler water and Co2 sprays. But I'm still on the fence about the whole sri cai thing myself aswell. s*** on a cold day engine temp in general will be down because off all the cold air hitting the radiator as well, which will help power too.

This is one of those problems wrapped in a puzzle, stuck in an enigma, on a square of a rubix cube........... in some fat chicks ass...(lol couldnt help the last part)

EvilMSP said:

its called colder air going into the IC and not getting heatsoaked, get it now?

Back