Mazda to take a chance on small Mazda5 crossover for U.S.

mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
Mazda to take a chance on small Mazda5 crossover for U.S.

MARK RECHTIN | Automotive News
Posted Date: 9/27/04
PARIS -- Next fall, Mazda will enter a new segment in the United States with the Mazda5, a crossover between a wagon and a small minivan.

Though a perfect fit for Europe and Japan, the Mazda5 is a risk for the United States because of its small size. Although Mazda says the vehicle will seat six adults, the Mazda5 wheelbase is just 108 inches, and the overall length is 177 inches. That's even smaller than the Mazda MPV, which has a 111.8-inch wheelbase and 187.8-inch length.

The U.S. version will use the Mazda3's optional 2.3-liter inline-four engine, which makes 160 hp. Europe gets a choice of a 1.8-liter or 2.0-liter gasoline engine or a 2.0-liter diesel engine.

The Mazda5 will share much of its architecture with the Europe-market Ford Focus C-Max, said Joe Bakaj, Mazda Motor Corp. executive officer in charge of design and product development. Doing that gave Mazda the starting points for the suspension settings and the basis for its crash testing.

But Mazda made the suspension sportier than that of the Focus C-Max. And while the C-Max has swing-open doors, the Mazda5 has sliding rear doors.

Mazda chose to use sliders because of its market research of U.S. buyers. They said they didn't like their children swinging their doors into neighboring cars. They also disliked loading a child seat through the narrow opening of a swing-open door, Bakaj said.

Although Mazda will sell a seven-seat version of the car in Europe, the United States will get only the six-seater initially, in three rows of two seats. Bakaj said market research responses dictated the choice to go with six seats and a second-row step-through.

Mazda figures that adding cool features will attract young buyers starting families. The second- and third-row seats fold flat, and the second-row seat bottoms flip away to expose storage areas underneath. Seventeen-inch wheels are standard.

Mazda expects to sell about 20,000 units annually. Bakaj said the Mazda5 will be priced starting around $18,000.

I really dont see this vehicle doing too well. There isnt much of an interest in the US market for a small van/wagon type thingamajig. In my opinion Mazda has done well with the 3 , 6, RX8, and the Mazdaspeed vehicles are going to put them on top of the heap. However, even though I am not a fan of SUV's, i feel that mazda should create something different than the Ford Escape based Tribute. The market for Small SUV's is HUGE..... Mazda is probably the best contender for creating a sporty small SUV. That should be their next move, in my amateur opinion.

I see it competting with the Matrix, Scion xA and xB, and the Nissan Cube. Its for people that don't want a mid size van. I would rather drive a Mazda5 then a Freestar.

ugly

that thing is ugly I dont see mazda doing well with this one at all. It looks like a skate on large wheels. Then again Im not a fan of the Xcion either they all look like big boxes

the key will come down to pricing.

no other car/wagon/crossover in that 18k range can comfortably seat 3 rows of passengers. even the cheapest minivan (Kia Sedona IIRC) starts just under 20k.

the fold flat 2nd and 3rd row seats are huge bonuses for those that want the ultimate in cargo/passenger space flexibility.

plus it'll drive more like a car than a van/suv, meaning it'll be easier to drive, and probably a bit more fun to drive as well.

if i was looking for a family hauler, i would definitely look at this car as an alternative to a full size minivan or an SUV

I actually think it will sell well here. ^ is right it will come down to price. I bet Honda, Toyota, and Nissan will follow Mazda too.

How about adding AWD?

here's a pic with the Mazda corporate dudes in front of the Mazda5 for size comparison. Notice how much lower it sits compared to a typical minivan/SUV. Much more similar to the Matrix, but with more cargo capacity.

8396_image.jpg

hmm, doesn't Toyota and several others already make minivan wagons...heheheh, sorry, had to flame the matrix...I hate it, also the suzuki vanagon, and pontiacs vanagon

The Mazda5 is a mere 5-inches taller, 1-inch longer, and equal in width to a Mazda3 5-door. Yet, the thing will seat 6 in N. American-specification (7 seats can be had in other markets).

There is currently no competition for this type of vehicle in N. America. If the vehicle becomes a hit, Mazda will open a new market. But if reception is poor, the vehicle will be out of the N. American market in a couple of years. In many ways, the situation is analogous to when Mazda introduced the Pro5 (which obviously took the route of becoming a hit and opened a new type of vehicle that wasn't here before).

Good luck to Mazda on this gamble - I really hope it does well and starts reversing the trend of minivans getting bigger and bigger (think '05 Honda Odyssey - that thing is huge).

No matter what category it falls under it's still a minivan in my eyes. A minivan that drives like a car but still a minivan.

i gues it depends on the person who looks at it..I own a 98 MPV es with swing out doors and that thing dont even look like a minivan but it is a minivan. people thought it was the new lxus rx 300 when it first came out. Others thought it was a land cruiser. I Llike this new mazda 5. Having two kids and an inlaw that lives with me, this is perfect for cruising and going outof town. I think im gonna trade my 97 protege (converted to mazdaspeed).

Heck, if it came with a stick I would buy one. That would be the market Mazda would be targeting... the driver who likes the space and seating of a van, but would NEVER buy an automatic.

Sales forecast for the M5 in Quebec

Numerous articles have appeared in newspapers here about this car and the response is : when can I get it. Was at the dealer last night and sales manager told they already have MANY orders for it (and launch is only next July!).

I have two young kids, and with all the baby stuff we have to carry when we travel, the Mazda5 is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I simply CAN'T stand SUV's (Stupid Useless Vehicles), and a minivan is too big for my needs. We have a 2000 4 door Civic and a P5, they are just too small. I'm seriously thinking about getting a small waterproofed trailer just to carry the baby stuff, and then I'll get the Mazda5.

And if you wonder how big is the Mazda5 compared to the MPV and the 3, see photo

Attachments

• CompareMPV_3.bmp
    440.9 KB · Views: 674
Back