Wagner shorty (or any header?) tightening issues?

Dimitrios

Contributor
:
2012 CWP MS3
Hey all,

I installed my Wagner shorty header over the weekend and while everything pretty snug, I have a hell of a time getting any sort of a socket or wrench into about four areas to tighten down the cap screws into the head.

Are all of the 2.0L headers like this? It's a bit disconcerting to have 4 bolts with unknown torque specs right now.

Anyone offer some advice or other info on this? Clearance like the OEM manifold would have been pimp. (peep)

D

Hmm..I looked at the OBX and it seems that they have more clearance for such matters...I'll pursue it a bit more.

When I installed my AWR header, I had two bolts like that. Just tightened them down as close to the others as I could get, and left it alone. There really isnt any room to do much better.

scorch70

If you're used to wrenching like I am, 14-16 ft/lbs is pretty easy to excede with a small hand wrench, so you should be pretty good. =)

Yah, I'm good with wrenchin'. I just somewhat felt a little oddballish about it all.

Now to just get the right sized ARP cap screws and I get to replace the stock stuff :D

Thanks guys.

see there are maximum torque specs for a reason. you should stay within them.

I wasn't concerned about exceeding the torque specs, I was concerned about getting enough on those difficult to access cap screws to get them within spec.

Awww....sorry man; I actually didn't intend to install it...I just started to remove the heat shield so I can check bolt sizes...then another bolt...and another....before I knew it I'm yanking the manifold.

If it's any consolation, I still have my H&R/Tokico Blues/AWR 19mm swaybar to install....

Have Questions regarding Wagner Header

I am ready to install my Wagner shorty header. I have a question regarding installation. What is a O2 and EGR Bung?
Big Dog

Last edited:
Big Dog said:
I am ready to install my Wagner shorty header. I have a question regarding installation. What is a O2 and EGR Bung?
Big Dog

egr is up top by where the manifold mates to the engine block. egr = exhaust gas recirculation. its a small pipe with a nut that seals it to the header or exhaust manifold. the o2 bung is where your oxygen sensors go.

Back