joep fpr install? How is it done?

Hey,
I recently picked up Joe P's fpr locally and after reading the instructions, it seems like there is another way to by pass the drilling of the intake to install this. I did use the search button, but was unable to come across anything that i was happy enough with to install it yet.

Can anyone at all post pictures of the fuel pressure line that i am suppose to tap into and how i am suppose to get the 'L' shape plastic into the intake w/o drilling a hole.

Step by Step of your install is best, provided you have pictures.

Thank You!!

Shoot a PM to Joe P himself (Kwiksti) or e-mail him. He always responded in the past.

The only way I saw was to drill the hole in the injen silicone connector instead of the intake itself. So I think the way it went was to put the connector on the MAF unit, put the hole in the connector and then put the piping up to where the L and attach it tight. Of course there is a small gap between the MAF unit and the pipe now but I dont think that will cause many problems.

Here are a couple of pictures of the FPR on my car. I don't see anyway to install this without drilling a hole in the intake. You could drill it from the bottom of the intake pipe to try and hide the FPR if you wanted. Not sure about with an injen on. I have replaced some of my lines with yellow hose (not done yet!) The line you cut in half is very small lope on the top of the manifold.
fprpic1.jpg

fprpic2.jpg

fprpic%203.jpg

You can either drill a hole in the silicone coupler as mentioned on cars equipped with CAI's or you can just leave that line tied off to the side somewhere but do not plug it :). It will not cause a vacuum leak or anything since it is a check valve. I did it the was it is for two reasons- mainly to make the install look "finished" and also in the hopes that the additional (although very slight) intake vacuum would help pull a bit more pressure as air flow increases- doubtful there is enough to make a diff., but it was worth a shot. Mainly though it was to finish it off.
Joe

Yay-Boost said:
Here are a couple of pictures of the FPR on my car. I don't see anyway to install this without drilling a hole in the intake. You could drill it from the bottom of the intake pipe to try and hide the FPR if you wanted. Not sure about with an injen on. I have replaced some of my lines with yellow hose (not done yet!) The line you cut in half is very small lope on the top of the manifold.
fprpic1.jpg

fprpic2.jpg

fprpic%203.jpg

kwiktsi said:
You can either drill a hole in the silicone coupler as mentioned on cars equipped with CAI's or you can just leave that line tied off to the side somewhere but do not plug it :). It will not cause a vacuum leak or anything since it is a check valve. I did it the was it is for two reasons- mainly to make the install look "finished" and also in the hopes that the additional (although very slight) intake vacuum would help pull a bit more pressure as air flow increases- doubtful there is enough to make a diff., but it was worth a shot. Mainly though it was to finish it off.
Joe
So if I were to just leave the line off to the side, would I even need any of the hose that is attached after the check valve?

BTW, Thanks for the help Joe. (yippy)

You would be better off putting the hose on. The hose acts as a bit of a restriction, without it, you will bleed off more and run a bit leaner. Unless you have access to a wide band, I wouldn't take the chance.

Joe
Bhamsan said:
So if I were to just leave the line off to the side, would I even need any of the hose that is attached after the check valve?

BTW, Thanks for the help Joe. (yippy)

Can someone post a good shot of all the pieces that comes with this please?

I have never drilled anything when I've installed FPR's in the past....

(this has me curious)

Thats because this isn't a fuel pressure regulator. It is a fuel pressure reduction kit used to help pull some of the excess fuel out while under boost. It bleeds boost pressure from the vacuum line for the regulator through a non-adjustable specific pressure check valve so that the pressure does not go as high while under boost. Since the MSP is a tricky car to go after electronically, the easiest way was to just go after fuel pressure. If you were to use an adjustable regulator on it, you would have to turn down the overall pressure which would affect drivability, this only changes it under boost :).

Hope this helps.
Joe
HorsepowerFreak said:
Can someone post a good shot of all the pieces that comes with this please?

I have never drilled anything when I've installed FPR's in the past....

(this has me curious)

I lost the instructions so....Which way does the check valve get installed? Is there an arrow on it? Which way does it face?
Thanks

Found it! Now, I have a "FLASHED" ecu, is it still ok to put the FPR on or would that cut to much fuel for the added timing of the "FLASH"?
Thanks.

Do you have any way to monitor air/fuel? Either a wide band or even a typical a/f gauge will suffice. I have a LOT of customers running it on flashed cars, so I don't think it will be an issue, but I just personally prefer to monitor things a bit.
Joe

I don't have any type of air/fuel monitor.
But I am also not modded. I'm still runnin stock boost. Just need something to smooth out the powerband that the flash didn't help on.

Geezer000 said:
I don't have any type of air/fuel monitor.
But I am also not modded. I'm still runnin stock boost. Just need something to smooth out the powerband that the flash didn't help on.
Many people are using it just as you would be with no issues, you *should* be 100% fine. I just personally don't do anything to my car without monitoring things- even if they are tried and proven :).
Joe

I, too, have a flashed ECU and I've been using Joe's FPR without any problems. But, for peace of mind, I take it off when I boost over 8 psi... just to be sure. At stock boost it's really safe, don't worry about it ;)

Geezer000 said:
Found it! Now, I have a "FLASHED" ecu, is it still ok to put the FPR on or would that cut to much fuel for the added timing of the "FLASH"?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Back