MSP ignition map discussion

KyRaceFan

:
03 MSP.
After getting detonation on the dyno at modest 12.5:1 a/f and then reading in Turbo Magazine they had detonation at higher boost at 11.1:1 a/f i think the culprit is the ignition system, or ignition map.

I have an FCD, and while Turbo magazine mentioned one, i dont believe it was installed, since they encountered fuel cut at 11psi.

That aside, it sounds like while there is obvious rooms for improvement in fuel delivery(injectors, pump, rail), it seems that no one, aside from guys with full engine management, has looked into any ignition upgrades other than spark plugs.

It also is clear to me that the stock fuel system, while limiting, doesnt need quite as much work to remain safe as i had previously imagined. 11.1 a/f on the dyno, with 10psi, fmic, exhaust, should be very safe.

What does concern me is the ignition itself. Does anyone know specific details about our stock ignition? Seems like its in need of upgrades to remain safe. Will plug wires and nice plugs fix the problem, or do we need something like the Bipes ACU, which miata guys use to retard timing under boost.

Obviously there is the J&S safeguard knock sensor, but is that enough?

I suppose i need to do more research on my own, but also wanted to open up the discussion on here.

If this has been touched on before, please refer me back to the links.

Thanks

-Jeff

i wonder if the dis system from msd will work on our car? that would be a nice upgrade i am sure, plus built in two set and rev control.

Back