Brakes squeak...

FelixKing

Everytime my P5 sits for more than an hour and the brakes cool down (regardless of weather and temp) they really squeal for the first 3 or 4 times I brake after I drive the car again. Should I take it to the dealer? I know that sometimes crakes are expected to squeak but I don't think that everytime is OK

Thanks for your help!

(bluep5)

What you're experincing is normal. Its a by-product of having semi-metallic brake pads. After the pads have a few thousand miles on them they have to semi heat-up before they'll quit squealling. Usually with-in the first 1-4 stops it'll go away. Until they start squealling constantly i wouldn't worry about it.

I have it too as well, on my right rear brakes.

Squeals on mild braking everytime it gets cold. Then it goes away after a few braking. I think the problem is more prevalent in disc brakes.

Last edited:
You know, our brakes don't squeal as much as some from other new cars, even though it should be kinda new on your car. And brakes don't squeak, they squeal. Just some useless info.

Brakes

Yes,

at least you don't have a Jetta. Mine grinded and squeaked off the dealer lot. " oh thats no problem, once you get going" they said. Yah, for most cars, but these brakes squaked and grinded at every stop all day no matter how much driving. It is such a problem that they have a list of planned rebuttals in the service department. The service adviser had the nerve to say" yah, think of how the guy who buys the $40,000 Audi feels" I said " or the guy who just bought a Jetta" What an idiot. Anyway, most of the Japanese cars are fine once they warm up. My P5 has a little morning grind that quickly disappears.

When I was working on my car I saw my brakes and they look almost brand new. BTW I have 19000 miles on my car. 6000 of which were non stop and only for gas. I'm savin' money

Back