ABS liking to kick in during hard cornering and braking- other folks?

rocketspeed

:
03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege, Titanium Gray
In situations where I'm cornering and braking hard- like coming off a main road and into a parking lot, my ABS likes to kick in and braking effectiveness is reduced dramatically.

Other folks experience the same thing? I do recall some threads about overly sensitive ABS, but I'm more concerned with the increase in stopping distance when ABS activates. Logically, ABS should stop me faster than my dopey foot can, but I don't think its even close. When my ABS kicks in, the brakes seem to work at about 25%, if that. The other day I had to steer around a curbstone pretty hard, because the brakes were doing nothing other than making the crunch noise and pulsing while my car was not slowing. This is on clean, dry pavement and not at crazy speeds (ie. I was still able to steer around the curbstone).

When Mazda replaced my bad rotors all this crap is now gone. Also it doesn't feel like my abs is kicking in like it use too. I now like stopping. Something was up with the first set of fac rotors. No more problems for me.

same problem...it really does feel like i have way more brake left before they lock up when they kick in.

The MSP is so stiff that often when you enter a parking lot driveway or even corner hars at lower speed, the inside rear tire will lift and then it triggers the ABS. Try autocrossing with it, it takes some getting used to. It isn't that the system is too sensitive, it is that one tire is starting to lock because of weight transfer. Exactly what it is supposed to do.

Britt

That is a very strange feeling when one tire comes off the ground when you are entering a parking lot or making a sharp right turn. Ive noticed this happening alot.

Mine does the exact same thing.
I think it has to do with the stiff suspension.
My abs acts up mostly when going up driveways.
I've noticed when going up driveways one wheel comes up from the ground. This is when the abs starts working. It does also start acting up
When braking hard in a straight line on ocasion but I don't have a clue on that one.
*damn , beat me to it ! Damn this sidekick*

Last edited:
glad i didn't get ABS brakes, that would freak me out if i had something assisting my stopping habits.

122 Vega said:
The MSP is so stiff that often when you enter a parking lot driveway or even corner hars at lower speed, the inside rear tire will lift and then it triggers the ABS. Try autocrossing with it, it takes some getting used to. It isn't that the system is too sensitive, it is that one tire is starting to lock because of weight transfer. Exactly what it is supposed to do.

Britt
This is one thing I hadn't considered and its highly logical. Very interesting.

Now why won't the car stop once the ABS kicks in? I guess its because the tire still has no weight on it and the car thinks its skidding, so it holds off on the braking until that tire starts rotating properly.

While the ABS is doing what it is supposed to do in that situation, its being fooled and that's not good from the stanpoint of controlling the car when you're shooting into a parking lot in the vicinity of people, cars or other things you aren't interested in hitting. The brakes are nowhere near locking up in the situations I'm describing.

Well, you really shouldn't be "shooting into a parking lot" but that is just my opinion. If you just lift the pedal a little it will correct it. If you want, disable the ABS by unplugging one of the rear ABS sensors. Don't unplug the fuse because you will disable the EBFD and you will have proportioning issues.

Britt

122 Vega said:
Well, you really shouldn't be "shooting into a parking lot" but that is just my opinion. If you just lift the pedal a little it will correct it. If you want, disable the ABS by unplugging one of the rear ABS sensors. Don't unplug the fuse because you will disable the EBFD and you will have proportioning issues.

Britt
What are you, a crossing guard or something? ;)

I'm not nuts about disabling ABS, and I had figured out the lifting the pedal solution just by trial and error. Just wanted to see what other folks had to say on the topic.

Back