Oxygen sensor??

Timothyap5vm

:
1997 Protege 4 door. 1.8 liter 4 cylinder @122 HP
Well, the tailpipe tip is covered in black so My dad and I are assuming that the car isn't getting optimun fuel economy or burning clean either..

My dad said he also noticed a little puff of black smoke comming out.
I am guessing the oxygen sensor isn't giving a correct reading and is making the air/fuel mixture too lean.
Would this be it?
Can you give any other suggestions?

Thanks!!

Timothyap5vm said:
Well, the tailpipe tip is covered in black so My dad and I are assuming that the car isn't getting optimun fuel economy or burning clean either..

My dad said he also noticed a little puff of black smoke comming out.
I am guessing the oxygen sensor isn't giving a correct reading and is making the air/fuel mixture too lean.
Would this be it?
Can you give any other suggestions?

Thanks!!
If 97 protege is the one you're talking about and it's non-turbo, you're probably right. If o2 sensor goes bad, the car will run very rich for safety reasons. Because it doesn't really know what afr it's at right now, it's going to run very rich so that incase it was running lean it would still be rich. If you know what I mean. Lean = nock, and rich = black tailpipe but safe and slow.
Hope that helps, is that the o2 sensor with 4 wires or 2 or 1?? It should't cost more then $30 from your local autozone.
Vik.

ViksMSP said:
Hope that helps, is that the o2 sensor with 4 wires or 2 or 1?? It should't cost more then $30 from your local autozone.
Vik.

Yeah I wish. O2 sensors for the 2nd gen aren't that cheap.

The one before the cat convertor is ~$80
The one after is ~$250

They're a lot cheaper if you get the generic Autozone ones, you have to splice the wires, but that isn't very hard.

I got a price quote sating the sensor will cost 100 dollars CDN... Jeez, that was the cheapest, I could get. The parts for anything on this car are expensive!! Oh well, it is a great car anyways..

Actually there isn't a Catalytic converter on it. There is only one sensor as far as I know.. We have no strict emission standards other than the car requiring a muffler and thats it.. If you want it quieter, I think adding a resonator will do the trick.. I prefer quietness, but the muffler is good enough and besides, I like the exhaust note it produces..

Yes, they are not cheap. Figure to pay 300 dollars at NAPA for one.. NOT. I think I will pay 30 bucks and splice the connector..

My Dad has just ordered 2 new struts for the rear. 100 dollars a piece.. I guess that is what ya have to pay if it is made in Japan.. I am also guessing the newer Proteges are made in Canada/USA so parts are probably cheaper?

Actually there isn't a Catalytic converter on it. There is only one sensor as far as I know.. We have no strict emission standards other than the car requiring a muffler and thats it.. If you want it quieter, I think adding a resonator will do the trick.. I prefer quietness, but the muffler is good enough and besides, I like the exhaust note it produces..

Yes, they are not cheap. Figure to pay 300 dollars at NAPA for one.. NOT. I think I will pay 30 bucks and splice the connector..

My Dad has just ordered 2 new struts for the rear. 100 dollars a piece.. I guess that is what ya have to pay if it is made in Japan.. I am also guessing the newer Proteges are made in Canada/USA so parts are probably cheaper?

A question a little off subject, but, lately, the car has been idling badly when the car comes to a complete stop in Drive. It sometimes does this in neutral.. I mean the RPMs will drop low enough to 150-300 RPM, enough for it to start shaking funny... Spark plugs are not the problem, I replaced em with NGK G power..

Back