Autocross tips

20ESGUY

Anyone got any good autocross tips, I'll be doing my first one sat. while test driving the new neon SRT4. I have to assume it's just like driving on the street just with cones marking out the turns and points taken off for cones hit.

few tips:

1. Walk the course, thoroughly
2. Look ahead, you should be looking at least 2 gates ahead, if not more
3. the ever-overused cliche "slow down to go fast"

and lastly, enjoy the drive! in a SRT-4 too! :D

Thanks zoomzoom, i dont think i'll be able to walk the course though...it's supposed to be kind of a just get in and drive type race. Hopefully if things go right you'll see me doing it on MTV...i'll let you know how i do at MAPP

OH! you're doing that MTV thing, where they send you to do racing school and stuff? wow, have fun and good luck with that! :D

Be smooth! squeeze the brakes, roll onto the throttle, never ever coast if you are not at the limits of adhesion you are not going fast enough.

cool deal, I kind of dont coast anyways....i dont believe in braking or coasting in a turn, doesn't let the car set right. I've got a bet going with the two other guys that are riding with me to see who's fastest...none us have autox'd before and I'm the only one who knows what it is....so it should be intresting. They're making one of Bob Baunderant's instructors ride with you so i'm really not sure how this is gonna go down

Results

Well, saturday was pretty cool....thanks for the help guys it paid off. I got three's and four's out five for my scores on the driving test by Skip Barber's instructor. The autocross part was definitly a blast, if I only had the cash to do it on a regular basis.

Re: Results

20ESGUY said:
Well, saturday was pretty cool....thanks for the help guys it paid off. I got three's and four's out five for my scores on the driving test by Skip Barber's instructor. The autocross part was definitly a blast, if I only had the cash to do it on a regular basis.

Actually autoX is pretty darn inexpensive. Here it costs $50 bucks for a yearly membership. With that you get to attend races all season and it only costs $12 to enter and get 4 runs....not too shabby for about 3 or 4 hours of great fun. We also get free fun runs after the event is over(time permitting) where you can do ridealongs with others in their cars as well as usually beat your previous best time usually as the pressure is off. :)

Yeah the entry fee's not bad, but i have difficulty driving my daily driver on the track. around here the tracks are old airforce bases and will tear up anything you put on them. Thats why i want a second car to race with and not have to worry about screwin it up so that on monday i can get to work. just dont have the funds for a second car right now.

I run my daily driver at autocross at least once a month. Besides increased tire wear my car performs as good as the day I bought it.

I run my daily driver (MP3) at least 2 times a month in autocrosses and haven't had any issues yet. Even drove out to the SCCA National Championships this year and raced. Finished 31 out of 43, so the car is a little out-classed nationally, but regionally I am kicking some major ass! Only thing I did different was take cfbjrs advice and got the race wheels and tires. Really helped times and saves on the street tire costs. (Actually cheaper than street tires for race tires!)
Good luck and have fun.

so did they give you actual SRT-4's to drive? b/c when i showed up at the Philly casting call, it was plain-jane neons prepped by skip barber. NOT SRT-4s as promised. what a scam.

Same here, they had a SRT4 on display but that was it, we drove neon sport models with a roll cage and non-modified 5 spd. The roll cage made all the difference in the handling of that thing...I will say that. I was pretty pissed when I saw all the regular neons driving around...plus they changed a bunch of the rules between the different forms you had to fill out. Over-all poor run operation.

HEY 20ESGUY you must be referring to Danville's track. That thing is sooo torn up I heard it is in the running for Crack ***** of the year. Seriously though most autocross tracks are pretty beat up because they are usually held in parking lots. Here in charlotte we have several events throughtout the year and all of them except one are in parking lots. The best one of the year is a 24 hour autocross. you heard right 24 hours. that means running full wide open at 3am . It is a blast. I say give it a try. courses can't be much worse than some of the roads here in charlotte

Being that we have a lot of military around here most of ours, or at least the one's I know of, are held at old navy and airforce bases. The worst one is probably Fentrus Field. It's still in use by the A/F but the part they use for the course hasn't been active since probably the 70's. It'll tear your tires up pretty good. Honestly I'd love to get into it, just that little course time I got at the MTV event was like the pervibal carrot in front of the horse. Time and money right now are kind of an issue, if it weren't for that then I'd be out there with the rest of yall.

Back