question about tire rotation

ND4MSP

I had plans to spend some quality time with the speed today, and decide my tires needed rotation. I'm at about 26k on the stockers. Got everything together that I needed to start. I first went to the left rear lug that required the keyed end, but the key wouldn't lock onto it. It has the identical design but it just seems to not fit. To refraise, the key pattern won't go over the lug pattern. So its not on it spinning freely or anything. Am I doing something wrong here? Help a fellow MSPr out. Thanks

so the pattern matches on the locking lub and the corresponding key but it's just a little off so it won't actually "engage"? I've never seen this happen. Did you try undoing the other locking nuts with the key?

If all else fails just call the company that makes the locking lugs and tell them your problem. You should've gotten your locking nut info with your car, which will also have a code that you give them so they can make you a replacement key (which I've used and have done).

thanks for the reply's thus far. Had a long weekend and couldn't get back. Actually, I didn't try any other locking lugs on the car as I was a little flustered after screwin with the first one. I guess I'll have to dig up the manufacturer info and pattern and go from there. Any one know how much it would cost to have it removed if need be?

Keep trying to fit the key to the lug lock. Sometimes you have to seat it just right or it won't work. I did this recently and had to do a double take to make sure it really fit my pattern. I tried again and got it to work. You'll know because it will click in place and be snug so you can turn.

ND4MSP said:
thanks for the reply's thus far. Had a long weekend and couldn't get back. Actually, I didn't try any other locking lugs on the car as I was a little flustered after screwin with the first one. I guess I'll have to dig up the manufacturer info and pattern and go from there. Any one know how much it would cost to have it removed if need be?

thanks for the reply miataracing. Tried a lil more with no luck. But problem is solved now. I dropped the car off to my mechanic and left it with him while I was on vacation, so I could have my 30k done and forgot to tell him that the key didn't fit. To make a long story short he owns a blue mica and his key fit on my lugs and he had an extra set.

Back