2003 radio on a 1999 Protege -- wiring Q

Astral

Contributor
Hi,

I'm wiring up a stock 2003 radio in a 1999 Protege (the original radio bit the dust).

I bought a 2003 reverse wiring harness (Scosche MA03R) to go into the 2003 stock radio, and then a normal wiring harness for the 1999 Protege ("1990-UP" Metra 70-7901).

So my plan is to hook up the two wiring harnesses, connect the corresponding speaker wires and power/ground wires, and ta-da, I can plug in the 2003 radio into the 1999 car wiring harness.

I can match every single wire except for illumination wires. The Scosche reverse harness is missing the dimmer wire, but has illumination wire (it's actually missing both, but it has a useless power antenna wire, which I move to be the illumination wire).

I found the harness layout for 2003 on this forum. However, for 1999 car harness, I had to resort to this web site:

http://www.gweep.net/~sfoskett/miata/audiopins/

which appears to be accurate. Even though it lists only Miata pinouts, it's the same connector and I can't imagine that it would be wildly different for the 1999 Protege. Also, the Metra harness came with a wiring reference on the back of it (although I trust it not much).

The 2003 car harness pinout says:

- illumination wire (miata site says "Pulsed Dimmer TNS+")
- dimmer wire (miata says "Inverted Dimming")

The 1999 car harness, however, has:

- illumination wire (miata site says "TNS+ (Dimmer)")
- dimmer wire (miata site says "ILL- (Dimmer return)")

So, does that mean that the dimming is done differently in the two car models? I don't have access to the 1999 Protege except upon request, so I can't just go and measure it.

Since I am missing one of these wires in the reverse harness anyway, I was thinking of just ditching the dimmer feature (I doubt that the driver uses it). Still, though, I'd want the total head-unit illumination to work.

So, do you think that I would be OK just wiring up the illumination (TNS+) wire from the 1999 car harness to the 2003 radio and just leaving the dimmer wire unconnected?

Anyone has any experiences with what happens when you disconnect the dimmer wire on a 2003 radio?

C'mon, nobody knows how the dimmer works on 03 Protege radios?

It says inverted dimmer--does that mean that 0V means full on?

2000 protege dimmer wire cd player issue...

hey,

i have a similar question...

i have a 2000 protege es...and just replaced the head unit...cause the oem one was going in and out of working (i'm pretty sure something got fried somehow)...

anyways...i put in a Panasonic CQ-C3400U...and i was gonna get a wiring harness to simplify things...but my buddy convinced me not to spend that extra money...cause he knew how to splice the connector that came w/ the cd player...

(doh)

prob. a bad decision for more than one reason...but i went ahead and let him do it...cause he got the wiring diagram conversion (of colors) from his dealership database...

only one problem now...when i'm driving at night...and i turn on the headlights while the car is running...as soon as i switch on the lights...the cd sound goes completely (stops)...even though the head unit still appears to be running...is lit up...and everything...(btw...this happens exactly the same no matter what the audio source = radio, cd)...

not exactly sure...but i'm thinking it might have something to do with that dimmer wire or maybe the illumination...as the oem unit had a backlight that lit up when i turned on the headlights...

y'all seem pretty smart on this forum...i'm really hoping someone can give me some advice...cause i'm kinda wary about letting my buddy do anything else at this point...

thanks!

bagelboyATL

Back