Programming a Spare Remote for Mazda3

goldwing2000

Turd in the punch bowl
:
2004 Mazda3s Hatch; 269,000 miles
This was deleted, so I'm re-posting it:

Step 1: Open driver side door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and Unlock the drivers door using the power door lock switch on the door

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn Key to ON position and return to Lock (off) position. Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. LEAVE key in the ignition in Lock (off) position.

Step 5: Close and open the drivers door 3 times. Leave door open after this step

Step 6: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors once.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Additional remotes, repeat Step 7 for up to 3 remotes total.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series (about 4) of door locks and unlocks. You're done!

Yeah, my original reply was, "it sounds like you're square dancing with your car."

This procedure is to program a new keyfob only.

If you want to program a new key (i.e. program the immobilizer chip on a new key that will start the car), it is a different procedure.

wongpres said:
This procedure is to program a new keyfob only.

If you want to program a new key (i.e. program the immobilizer chip on a new key that will start the car), it is a different procedure.

thanks just wanted to make sure.....

Mazda's Crash Test Dummies

goldwing2000 said:

Step 1: etc.
Step 384: ...You're done!

Yup! I don't think we're in Kansas anymore Toto. (confused)

(encourage

Whew, that was GREAT!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. I'm probably going to order a key fob tonight. It never came with my car. I didn't even know the car had an alarm system until yesterday (freaking dealer didn't know what they were talking about when I asked).

Does anyone know what the alarm does? I'm thinking of going aftermarket anyway, but if the stock features are pretty decent, I'll probably just stick with it.

mzdp5fan said:
Thanks for the post. I'm probably going to order a key fob tonight. It never came with my car. I didn't even know the car had an alarm system until yesterday (freaking dealer didn't know what they were talking about when I asked).

Does anyone know what the alarm does? I'm thinking of going aftermarket anyway, but if the stock features are pretty decent, I'll probably just stick with it.
It's not made fully clear in the manual either, but it is an engine/starter deactivator. There is no warning siren/horn, that I know of.
BTW: Some other posts I have read have stated that they had problems using an AM alarm system. The manual states that it could cause other problems too, and would give Mazda a good reason to selectively void your warranty.
My advice, be careful if you go that route.

mzdp5fan said:

The alarm is a very simple system. It'll just honk the horn and flash the blinkers if a door/trunk/hood is opened without previously having pressed the unlock on the remote (or physically inserting key into driver door or trunk). There is no shock sensor or anything like that.

you'll know you have a stock alarm if you use your key to lock the doors and the blinders flash a second later

2005 Mazda 3 program remote keyless entry

Will this work for a 2005 Mazda 3?

goldwing2000 said:

Step 1: Open driver side door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and Unlock the drivers door using the power door lock switch on the door

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn Key to ON position and return to Lock (off) position. Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. LEAVE key in the ignition in Lock (off) position.

Step 5: Close and open the drivers door 3 times. Leave door open after this step

Step 6: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors once.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Additional remotes, repeat Step 7 for up to 3 remotes total.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series (about 4) of door locks and unlocks. You're done!

1996 Protege

I bought this car without the remote, but it obviously has a security system provided by Mazda. Are there any guides to program the keyless entry system for a 1996 protege? I have looked several places, and have not had any luck yet.

program instructions for 08 mazda 3

bought a new set of keys with remote... too pricey to reprogram at dealer... do these programming still work for a mazda 3 (5 door) 2008?

Back