Emergency Brake Help!!!!

registering

Contributor
HELP!!! I finally finished a brake upgrade to powerslot rotors, hawk hp pads, corksport SS brake lines and new fluid. Put everything back together, take it for a ride aaaand there's a slight oscillating sound from the left front. Take it apart, check, everything looks okay, put it back together, take it for another ride. Oscillating gets WORSE. Take it apart --- it seems the caliper is rubbing the edge of the rotor!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! There are rotor shavings inside my wheel well, and if I move the caliper-part that holds the brake pads up out of the way, the wheel moves smoothly, but if I put it down and bolt it together, the rotor rubs the caliper!! Here's a picture showing the inside of the caliper where the two edges of the rotor have worn away part of the caliper (not much, but the shiny parts are where it's rubbing, the filthy parts are where it's not rubbing). HOW CAN I ADJUST THE CALIPER?!?! Did powerslot send me a defective rotor?!?!?! ANY IDEAS??!! AM I ******?!?!? My car's been down for TWO WEEKS I'm gonna lose it if it's going to be down for another, or if I have to put my tiny highly warped stock rotors back on. ANY IDEAS?!?!?!?!?! HELP!!

The right front is FINE it's only the left front! It seems like the rotor is 0.5 or maybe 1.0 millimeter too large in diameter, but since my right front is okay I'm thinking my caliper is warped slightly. Can hard braking do that???? Was my car born deformed?? :( Any ideas on what I can do other than tow it to Mazda or burn the ******* thing and get a subaru??? Okay enough venting but I'm really pissed................

Attachments

• p1010019.jpg
    p1010019.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 160
So I took it apart and put it together and did another road test and still that loud oscillating sound. It sounds as if my brand new rotor is extremely warped. So I took it apart, took the rotor off, and I can't see anything. The hub looks fine, I sanded-off the rust from the outside so the rotor should sit nice and flush, just like I did all the other hubs, there's no excessive wear on one part of the rotor as far as I can tell. Any clues as to what I can do tonight? I'm supposedly going to Mazda's rev it up! tomorrow but sadly I may spend the day at Mazda which would be quite upsetting. >;( If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate anything at this point.........

Hmm, maybe you got a MSP rotor by accident? Try checking the caliper mount bolts, the bolts the hold the mount to the hub....might be able to get adjustment from that. Or you might just have a defective rotor...

Got pics of the rotor? That dust cover is torn up pretty bad too....

I don't have any pics of the rotors. I took it all apart again, sanded down the hub more, put brake cleaner all over it, wiped everything down, reassembled everything and now -- for whatever reason -- the oscillating sound which definitely sounds like a warped rotor, is not very noticeable, and ONLY occurs when I take left turns. I imagine this is because some minor amount of stress occurs when taking left, such as the inside brake pad coming 0.5 millimeter closer to the rotor, causing it to touch. I have a feeling if I torque the lug nuts more it might lessen this "warping" during left turns? Maybe it's the rotor itself that shifts ever so slightly during left turns?? I torque it to 84 lb ft now.......of course it might all of a sudden occur during rights in an hour, because I still couldn't find anything wrong.

As far as getting an MSP rotor -- maybe, I just don't know. It was labeled properly, and looked identical to the right one (except it had an "L" printed on it for left).......

Take it in, It just isn't worth ******* around with brakes sometimes. Like a MIDAS or something...

Well I've taken it apart a few more times with no luck. I figure it's either a messed-up hub or a defective rotor. I'm taking it into Mazda today and will miss my RevItUp! appointment which sucks.

Well the good news(?) is that _I_ was the defect, not the parts. I installed the inside pad on the outside and vice versa, so the wear indicator was gouging the rotor. Luckily it didn't gouge it much, but enough to make the grinding sound. I don't know why it oscillated, but Mazda pointed this out, fixed it, and it's been working great ever since. My pads came with what looked like two wear indicators, a long one and short, and I didn't know you were supposed to cut off the long one. Anyway, I'm an idiot, nothing new there. I sure wish the pads came with insutructions though. Last time I make that frustrating mistake!

Thanks again for everyone's feedback!

(oh and I actually made it down to revitup! (barely) and had enough time to make two horrible competition runs woo-hoo!!) :)

if nothing else....YOU learned a good lesson...and a handy little piece of technical information that you can pass along to others....hopefully to keep them from making the same mistake.

(stash)

Back