33k Kms and my brakes look like crap!!! (lots of pics)

gothmobile

:
2002 mp5
Ok, i had had the brake light come on while braking now 80% of the time regardless of the force applied on the brake pedal. I checked the brake fluid and it is not below the minimum but it is not at the top. Heres 2 pics of the level:

57673134.jpg

57673118.jpg

I also checked the brake pads out and they look like they have plenty of meat on them :

57673152.jpg

But as i look at my brakes, i want to cry. My car has 33k Kms and the brakes look like something left on the side of the road. Very bad corrosion and the surface of the brakes feels uneven as i rub my finger on them. No huge scratches but obvious lines scored into them by looking at them. While stopping from speeds around 80km and up, it feels like the brakes arent being applied evenly throughout the entire stopping process like there are times when the brakes let up for a fraction of a second.

I think i should make an appointment for the mazda dealership, maybe get the rotors resurfaced or new rotors all together. Should i also get new pads, or just new pads? Should i add more brake fluid? Will new rotors or pads (im assuming pads, no) be covered under warranty?

Here are some pictures of my horrible brakes, i have checked out other p5s around my area and their brakes look very nice. The car has been driven hard at times, i have laid off quite a bit since the brake light has come on.
I live north of Toronto so i do experience Snow, lots of salt, ice etc in the winter

pics:

57673170.jpg

57672978.jpg

57672965.jpg

57672944.jpg

57672933.jpg

57672903.jpg

57672866.jpg

57672833.jpg

pics of the rear left brakes :

57672921.jpg

57672911.jpg

It's the Curse of the Rusted Caliper/Hub. It's one of the banes of every P5 owner.

You can paint them, however.

well i dont have that knock of wood! but i did have to put more fluid in there not too long ago and have 25k! and just changed my front pads!
if u live near a beach well thats ur prob!

Wow thats alot of rust. I'm at 21k and my rotors are very clean just some spots on some places but easily removable every car wash. I'm sure a good look over by the mazda dealer would help. If they say its just the break pads, replace them on your own. I don't think it costs anything for them to just take a look right? If its a bigger problem at least you caught it now, instead of finding out that your brakes don't work while your drving. Hope its just a minor problem and a free fix.

Wow corrosion city! You most likely need new brakes. Better replace them now then later.

If you add brake fluid now, you'll have to remove some later. Also, the pic of the pad is the outer pad. How does the inner pad look? The inner pad wears faster than the outer. The groves being cut into the rotor is normal, however that discoloration that you have on the outer edge doesn't look right.

Also, what part of the country are you in? I grew up in CA and saw some rust begin to form on my 30 year old Chevy. When I moved to the midwest, I'd see rust build up within two years.

thanks for the info guys. The brake light is not permenantly on, for instance driving today it didnt come on once but yesturday, even the slightest of pressure on the brake pedal produced the ( ! ) light to come on.

I guess i will make an appointment for the dealer see what they think and if i need new pads or rotors, ill do a search on some good p5 pads and might check out those ebay rotors.

thanks guys
Alex

I did my sisters rotors and pads on her 01' ES2.0 a couple weeks ago. Got the front pads for 24.00 and the two front rotors for 36.XX from consumer auto parts. The rotors was a b**** to get off, but the whole front job took under 1.5 hours.
-R

If your car is still under warranty, you should go see Mazda about it.. that definately dosen't look right. Looks like theres something in the ground or in the air where you live that's causing the brakes to rust like that. The rust on the hub is normal, but the rust on the edge / inside the rotor itself definately isn't. Get it fixed fast.

My Rotors looked exactly like that at 30000km's they still look the same, if not a little worse at 46,000 where I am now. Mazda would not do anything about it. Cheap stuff from the factory. All the other cars that sit in my driveway have no problems with rust on their rotors.

Check the insides of the rotor. Mine are 5x as worse on the inside than on the outside. Car still stops great though..and I've still got pad life to boot.

Yeah, brake performance is still excellent except for the slight pulsing stopping from semi high speeds. (doesnt increase stopping distance though) The brakes look as bad as some C3 corvette brakes i resurfaced last year.

brakes

2002 MP5 - 32,000KM all four sets of pads smoked - when all 4 calipers hit max travel the resevoir is low and you get air into the lines as well - contacted mazda canada - too bad so sad expected pad life 30 to 50,000 km -

Back