Check engine light CRAP.

Rush

:
91 MX-5, 13 ILX
Yeah, so. Got in my MSP yesterday. Started it. Check engine light was on. Oh joy.

Pulled over. Checked the engine, duh. Checked under the car. Checked my gas cap. The gas cap was definitely loose. Tightened it. Check engine light stayed on. Mumbled a few curses, continued on my way.

I dropped my car off at Faulkner Mazda this morning for the 15,000 mile warranty thing, for an inspection/emissions, and for the damn check engine light. First off, they told me that my car automatically fails inspection because of the check engine light. They saw my Injen, and said it could be that causing it. But then I explained what happened with the gas cap -- and they said that THAT could be causing it. They said that sometimes, it takes a few days for the check engine s*** to 'reset' itself and turn off. Thankfully, I'm friendly with the Service Department Manager -- he's always helped me out, this isn't one of those mod-hating dealerships.

Now, here's what I'm wondering. Let's say it IS my Injen causing my check engine light to go on. First off -- why in the hell didn't it do it in the first place? I've had my Injen on for 7 months now, and never got a check engine light -- for ANYTHING. And secondly .. what am I gonna do if that IS what's causing it, somehow? I destroyed my stock air box getting it out of the car in the first place, cause I got pissy with the bolts and wound up literally tearing it out of my engine bay. Are they gonna make me put a stock air box back in, so that the damn check engine light will go off, so I can ultimately pass inspection?

Goddammit, why couldn't the check engine light have gone on this coming Tuesday or somethin'? I wouldn't have given a s*** then.

couldn't they just read the code? or better yet, take it to autozone and have them do it for free, takes 3 seconds, then you'll know

if it was the injen, which I highly doubt, it would be due to the MAF sensor being messed up, but that would have happened awhile ago unless you beat it to death with a pineapple while installing the injen.

so yeah, autozone or pepboys, get the code =)

They didn't read the CEL? That's odd... Go to an Autozone, and have them hook it up to the OBD-II scanner, have them tell you what it says for a code, and tell them you already took care of it, then ask them to clear the code to make sure it's okay now.

Of course, if you havn't ACTUALLY fixed the problem, make sure you do!

Then say, 'Thanks! Have a nice day' and be on your way, all CEL-less. =)

Edit: And Vulcanon is a big jerk, 'cause he beat me to the post. ;)

Why didn't you reset the ECU? Probably would have cleared your cell. Anyway, I seriously doubt it's the Injen. No reason it should trigger a cel.

.. Why in the hell didn't I think of the code? Blarg. I think I was just so irritated that my brain went on temporary vacation.

Anyhoo, sounds like a trip to Autozone just came into the plans for today. Thanks, guys! :D

dude unplug your negative battery termanal for about 5 minutes and tap the brake pedal like 3 or 4 times and reconnect the negative battery termanal and see if the light goes off, i highly doubt it is your Injen.

cosmo420 said:
dude unplug your negative battery termanal for about 5 minutes and tap the brake pedal like 3 or 4 times and reconnect the negative battery termanal and see if the light goes off, i highly doubt it is your Injen.
My thoughts exactly. That's what i did when i got a CEL 2 weeks ago, it's been fine ever since. (headbang)

um I would check the code before you go erasing the cel. It might be beneficul (sp) to see what is causing the cel! I dont know, I would want to know whats causing it.

Back