protege5 with rx7 brake upgrade??

Well, crap! I lost on the calipers, unfortunatly. =/ So I guess I'm going to have to wait for my 7 to come back from the shop to even size it up, then, if they bolt up, I guess I"m going to see what else I can find at that point. However, the 929 master cylender is more doable. I'm looking for a good, cheap source of one to test it out on my P5.

aren't your brakes very similar to probe gt/mx6 brakes? there's a bunch of info on probetalk about caliper/rotor swapping and its options. people have done rx7 swaps, 3kgt rotor swaps, some different stuff. just another place to look

The master cylinder bore size on a BJII 1.8L is cast onto the master cylinder itself. From memory it is 15/16". No bore differentiation for front and rear circuits. Might pay to have a look there before tearing anything down!

Well, for the BJII I guess it is... There's no obvious casting numbers/letters on mine besides BJ3K, and no real reference, otherwise. I'm going to be calling on a lead on a 929 MC today, for $45, new. My friend with a '93 929 with ABS was going to replace his, but found out it was a loose brake booster line, instead. I'll call him after I call the Mazda dealership and find out if they happen to know what the MC bore is for the P5/MP3/etc... as well as the one for the Mazdaspeed Protege, just to make sure.

Last edited:
The Mazda dealership was no help! Big shock there. Hehe. At any rate, I talked to a friend at a wrecking yard, and he said that the newer Protege's he's seen have 15/16th's, as he's pulled a bunch of them. So, I sent my friend the cash, and I should have the MC tomorrow. I'll let you know it it works well after this weekend.

very nice info. I have the 2001 LX which has drums in the back and was looking to convert to all-wheel disk. Will get everything from the MSP or MP3 except master cylinder which I will get the 929 if it indeed works out. Then i'll get the calipers from the rx-7, probe gt or 3kgt or whichever is found out to work with minimal modifications.

PGT's have the same front calipers as the Protege, I beleive, Vindication. =) The only difficulty that I can forsee with the 929 MC install is the fact that the banjo bolt to 1/8" NPT adapter on the frontmost connector for the 929, and that faces downward normally... I'm going to have to unbolt it, and turn it so it points upright, bend the hard brakeline toward the passenger side a tiny bit, and re-thread it in. That's the ONLY wierdness, and that's not even remotely hard to deal with. =) Hehe.

The MC is here, and will be put on at some point this weekend. I'm going to bench bleed it, and probably give it a little touch up of silver caster paint, too, just to make it look pretty and totally new.

I need to find that darn brake article in GRM again.

Changing the master cylinder to something larger changes stuff, not just pedal feel. Dang it, where did that issue go??

Here are some shots I snapped of the 929 MC earlier today. Enjoy!

Attachments

• 929_mc_1.jpg
    929_mc_1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 407
  • 929_mc_2.jpg
    929_mc_2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 415
  • 929_mc_3.jpg
    929_mc_3.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 421
http://www.scirocco.org/faq/brakes/pulpfriction/pfpage2.html

According to that, pedal to pressure force ratio may be , and thusly, the result may be the exact opposite of what one would desire from doing this upgrade; Alternately, with bigger brakes, IE, the four piston calipers found on an RX7, the MC is properly sized to more efficiently fill the brake calipers, and thusly, makes for better pedal feel as a whole, as it's filling the caliper resiviors properly, as opposed to a smaller MC. We'll see what the results are tomorrow, though.

wow that's an interesting article!

but one thing they fail to mention...volume. move a 1" MC 1" and you have moved 3.14 cubic inches of fluid. a 15/16" MC only pushes 2.76 cubic inches of fluid. so where the MC might lack in pressure, it gains in volume.

Welp, I found a possible source for a set of 4 piston RX7 calipers, again. Chris (FC3S Boy on here) is looking into either getting FD or FC calipers to work with. =) I didn't get to installing the MC yesterday, and I still need to bench-bleed the thing, but I was tired from doing a bunch of other car work yesterday, anyway; Oil change, adjusting a flange on the HF second cat pipe that connects to the precat, then the one at the end of the HF cat section, snugging a couple of bolts here and there, and checking the brakes, pads and rotors over a little bit. I was looking at my OE front brake rotors on the floor in the basement, and I think I could pop those on the rear of the Protege, then swap on some FC/FD rear calipers to help fit around them properly. I don't think the range of the stock rear calipers is enough to wrap around the thicker brakes. But messing with the rear brakes like that means I've GOT to get a perportioning valve, which I'll probably need after the MC install, anyway. I'll let you know how things go.

Okay, the MC is installed now... Let me just say this; Wow. I didn't think 1/16th of an inch would make THAT much of a difference. It was a bit of a pain, but if you take your time, it's not too bad. Just have to bend the brake lines a tiny, tiny bit, reorient the banjo bolt vertically (like in the pictures); Bench bleed the MC before hand, and then put it in, then bleed the whole brake system, and the clutch. Then you're done. Not a bad upgrade, in my oppinion, and I definitly LOVE the feel... Much more pressure transfer to the calipers, for sure, and it grabs right away. I can't wait for my new calipers, now! I'll post pics in a little bit, once the sunstroke wears off some. Heh.

Here the pictures are. They aren't that great, but you get the idea. Also, take note of the brake booster; all the paint is rubbed off. Apparently, when the Mazda dealership took the car in to replace the clutch under warranty, and they topped up the brake fluid, they ended up spilling some on the back, which I only just now noticed; I only know it wasn't my doing, because I'm really anal about putting in brake fluid, as I don't want to screw up my paint. So, now I need to touch up the paint on the stupid brake booster at some point. =P Bastards. I should've known they did that when they ****** up the paint on my battery hold down, too. Ahh, well. The MC is in, and working great. I'll give more details on the install tomorrow, when I'm not exhausted.

Attachments

• 929_mc_4.jpg
    929_mc_4.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 486
  • 929_mc_5.jpg
    929_mc_5.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 446
  • 929_mc_6.jpg
    929_mc_6.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 452
  • 929_mc_7.jpg
    929_mc_7.jpg