MP5 -- GT Spec Rear Strut Bar Pics & install

My first ---------------

WITH NO FUKING REPLIES UNTIL TODAY
by me

why do you all hate me????????????(boobs2)

i had your page book marked this entire time :) if that helps? lol

didnt realize how old this post was and that no one replied o_O

peace

i was gonna post something earlier today, but i couldn't think of anything haha
well... was it a worthy investment? :D

heck yeah and a lot of people don't have it - so it's kind of unique at shows and what not

sick write up...

i think their arent any responses is because nobody has the rear bar yet... only a few.

i myself am afraid of cutting stuff. i go overboard.

it looks hot, thats for sure. but as is my car handles like a dream, i can't imagine it helping that much more.

khaosman said:
it looks hot, thats for sure. but as is my car handles like a dream, i can't imagine it helping that much more.

??? you might be surprised

cable43 said:
??? you might be surprised

werd. what i meant was that after all i've done, it wouldn't be as noticeable. what kind of suspension stuff have you done?

i have jic coilovers and awr 21.5mm bar. so it is pretty dang stiff and flat as is.

illuminas and eibach Pro kit (sold )
GT Spec Ladder Bar-Front brace- Rear Strut bar
Awr trailing links
RB rear sway bar w/ Awr end links

most is off and back to stock -
i'm thinking about selling stuff and waiting for MS3... or go built fi motor

hmm, even if i had an MP5... i wouldn't upgrade my rear bar... unless i'm in the autocross business... but i'm jus a daily driver... so thats a nono...

I've done a few autocrosses, and want to do more. It is damn addicting :)

cable43, what are your opinions on all those mods? Like which did you think were really worthwhile and whatnot. I put my JIC coilovers and AWR bar on at the same time, so I can't tell which did what... but the thing handles like it is on rails now.

Just do the built FI motor, it'd be way cooler :D Then you'd have to get all that suspension stuff back on though ;)

Boricua86 said:
hmm, even if i had an MP5... i wouldn't upgrade my rear bar... unless i'm in the autocross business... but i'm jus a daily driver... so thats a nono...

thinking about the design or a sedan and wagon rear i felt my P5 could use some tightening up. just my opinion.

khaosman said:
cable43, what are your opinions on all those mods? Like which did you think were really worthwhile and whatnot. I put my JIC coilovers and AWR bar on at the same time, so I can't tell which did what... but the thing handles like it is on rails now.

well the most substantial would of course be the suspension
then rear sway
but the front had more grip but felt a little unsteady- the ladder bar and lower cross bar seemed to help the front susp. do its job. it didn't seem to loose grip up front like some people say

i borrowed friends 16"rotas w/ hankook tires and did an auto cross event last summer. it was like night and day compared to the time i went out w/ just struts and springs.

overall i think the jics are doing all you work (and probably doing it well)

i'll probably just do struts and spring again for my next set up. Coils seem to be a rough ride. especially for my son in the back seat!

khaosman said:
Just do the built FI motor, it'd be way cooler Then you'd have to get all that suspension stuff back on though

That's about where I at with is all- i would love an AWD zoom zoom but I'm not liking the body style of the 3 and 3 5dr. so i think it's sticking w/ my P5. it's only got 28,000 on it and runs / looks great.

i'm like a chick sometimes - i can't make up my mind to save my life.

traitorhound said:
hmm. . i alwasys thoguht the gtspec stuff was orange

it is.
i guess the first run of the rear bars was blue- like their Subaru stuff. I just got lucky. but hen i had to paint all my other GT Spec stuff blue!!

cable43 said:
Coils seem to be a rough ride. especially for my son in the back seat!
Definitely :D Mine are quite rough. If I were making long trips (over 2 hours), I'd probably be unhappy, heh. I haven't done that yet though... eek. Perhaps you can get some coilovers with less stiff spring rates.

cable43 said:
i'm like a chick sometimes - i can't make up my mind to save my life.
haha, we all are. We just fuss over different stuff... wheels, turbos, stereos--expensive stuff :) I agree on your Mazda 3 points, I'm not in love with the body styling either. My buddy has one, I haven't gotten to drive it yet though. I'm curious but don't care that much--I like my car and that is why I got it :D

Thanks for all the info too. I like the blue GT Spec stuff better than the orange. It does seem like a rear strut would make back more rigid since there is no rear shelf and what not to stiffen it up. The strut bolts on my coilovers are really short though, the seat belt things barely fit in. There is no way I could fit a strut in there too. I'd have to MacGyver something up.

cable43 said:
My first ---------------

WITH NO FUKING REPLIES UNTIL TODAY
by me

why do you all hate me????????????(boobs2)

I don't hate you. then again I'm not realy a hatefull person.

I have the bar... I'm pleased with it. I haven't put my interior back in yet, and don't plan to. When I bought the bar from EDO Performance, I got the other two P5 trunk pieces that all connect together to firm it up... but EDO sent me the wrong trunk brace piece, and I'm still trying to get it straightened out :( So no complete install yet. I've yet to see or hear of a P5 running the complete setup, only mazdaspeeds. I would kill for a pic of a P5 with the completed setup...

Here is my old thread describing the problem :
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96736&highlight=edo+rear

I've tried calling EDO 3 separate times to fix the issue, but they always fail to get back to me about it or follow up. I know keeping on top of things is the only way to get stuff resolved, but how many times does it take? Seems like every time I call I have to talk to a different person and describe the whole issue over again. Also doesn't help that no one there seems to be familiar with the gt-spec line up for the P5 :( Ugghh just gets me so dam aggravated!

[/thread jack]

lasermp5 said:
I have the bar... I'm pleased with it. I haven't put my interior back in yet, and don't plan to. When I bought the bar from EDO Performance, I got the other two P5 trunk pieces that all connect together to firm it up... but EDO sent me the wrong trunk brace piece, and I'm still trying to get it straightened out :( So no complete install yet. I've yet to see or hear of a P5 running the complete setup, only mazdaspeeds. I would kill for a pic of a P5 with the completed setup...

Here is my old thread describing the problem :
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96736&highlight=edo+rear

I've tried calling EDO 3 separate times to fix the issue, but they always fail to get back to me about it or follow up. I know keeping on top of things is the only way to get stuff resolved, but how many times does it take? Seems like every time I call I have to talk to a different person and describe the whole issue over again. Also doesn't help that no one there seems to be familiar with the gt-spec line up for the P5 :( Ugghh just gets me so dam aggravated!

[/thread jack]

i think i got with EDO at a good time when they were just starting up. you are right, they are not into Proteges over there. They seem to concentrate on their STI and EVO GT Spec items.

They are still kind of cool guys though (well Chris is, but i don't know if he is there any more). they gave me some great prices and support. But that was over a year ago. Thing change so much with small tuning companies- they come they go. it's all good though it's work out in the end.
it always does.
trust ME.

sorry to revive this old thread..but I just noticed that the brackets for the strut towers are upside down I think?? Because when you purchase the full trunk cage, doesn't the lateral arms come up under the strut bar and not towards the top?

In any case...does GT Spec still make these?

Back