Proper boost gauge install, in english please

All Boost

I know there is a How-to, but i think it has a few holes in it. I'm ready to put my steering wheel gauge pod in, and was wondering which wires to tap into.

I've heard the green/back wire from the dimmer switch is the way to go but it doesn't say if it will actually dim.

And there is no mention of how to hook up a new 3/16ID vaccum hose to the gauge. I'm assuming we have to buy a new compression fitting that fits the gauge.

thats all really. i appreciate any help.

Boost gauge install

Search engine is your friend... this may help too.

http://www.msprotege.com/vbb300/showthread.php?t=54018

I've also attached pics of the vacuum line "t" connection I used, and the firewall grommet I ran the vac/boost hose through. The above post references the wires to use, it's a bear getting to them (have to remove an underdash panel that pops off at the top and is "hinged" at the bottom) but it's worth it as the boost gauge lighting now dims with the dash lights.

In the firewall pic, liik just beneath the wiper motor - see that white-ish nylon vacuum line? It curls down (don't kink it!) and goes through the grommet just South of the wiper motor along with a red wire I ran so I can eventually hook up my "madeye" MSP and city lights. You'll see a glimpse of the both of them going through the grommet just udner the wiper motor. It's easy to get to that grommet from the inside too (if you're a contortionist and willing to stick your head under the dash a bit).

Good luck!

Attachments

• Firewall Grommet.JPG
    Firewall Grommet.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 694
  • tee connection.JPG
    tee connection.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 996
Last edited:
Actually the one in the How: To section is perfect. Follow it exactly and you shouldnt have any problems. I've done it that way twice and both of my installs have worked fine.

Back