Possible blown amp...suggestions needed

chuyler1

goes to eleven
:
2013 CX-9
****** A...I go through the trouble of writing out this post, click send, then I get an error...when I hit back its all gone. Errrr...well from the begining...abbreviated.

I put a Precision Power PPI 5540 amp in my girlfriend's car. Its all wired up perfectly and has been running for the past year or so. The amp had a problem where it would go into protection at high volumes but it worked fine otherwise.

Here are the symptoms:
* The front and rear channels get power and work fine.
* All fuses are intact.
* The sub channel does not work
* The impedence across the sub output terminals is 2ohms...which is correct
* The voltage across the sub output terminals is 0 while the amp is running
* There are no signs of blown capacitors or burn marks on the circuit board
* I have bypassed all eqs and settings and still get 0 volts across the sub terminals
* Everything was working last week.

I'm pretty sure the amp has a seperate power supply for the sub channel and the other channels so it could be that or the sub amp...but like I said, there is no obvious problem when you look at the circuit board.

Anyone got any ideas?

chuyler1 said:
****** A...I go through the trouble of writing out this post, click send, then I get an error...when I hit back its all gone. Errrr...well from the begining...abbreviated.

I put a Precision Power PPI 5540 amp in my girlfriend's car. Its all wired up perfectly and has been running for the past year or so. The amp had a problem where it would go into protection at high volumes but it worked fine otherwise.

Here are the symptoms:
* The front and rear channels get power and work fine.
* All fuses are intact.
* The sub channel does not work
* The impedence across the sub output terminals is 2ohms...which is correct
* The voltage across the sub output terminals is 0 while the amp is running
* There are no signs of blown capacitors or burn marks on the circuit board
* I have bypassed all eqs and settings and still get 0 volts across the sub terminals
* Everything was working last week.

I'm pretty sure the amp has a seperate power supply for the sub channel and the other channels so it could be that or the sub amp...but like I said, there is no obvious problem when you look at the circuit board.

Anyone got any ideas?
It sounds like something wasn't happy from day one if it was cutting out. Either way, I think it be dead. Other then trying other RCAs, my guess is its gonzo.

Well, the whole amp runs of one pair of RCAs. It has filters that send the full/high/low signal from one layer to the next. I originally thought the cutting out was due to clipping because of the limited signal voltage. Basically the front channels are bridged and getting one left channel RCA; the rear channels are bridged getting one right channel RCA; and the sub channel is getting the sloppy seconds from the right channel.

Don't worry, I tried bypassing all these features and hooking both RCAs up to the sub input...that wasn't the problem...its definately internal.

Perhaps the clipping killed the amp at just moderate levels. :(

chuyler1 said:
Well, the whole amp runs of one pair of RCAs. It has filters that send the full/high/low signal from one layer to the next. I originally thought the cutting out was due to clipping because of the limited signal voltage. Basically the front channels are bridged and getting one left channel RCA; the rear channels are bridged getting one right channel RCA; and the sub channel is getting the sloppy seconds from the right channel.

Don't worry, I tried bypassing all these features and hooking both RCAs up to the sub input...that wasn't the problem...its definately internal.

Perhaps the clipping killed the amp at just moderate levels. :(
SOunds like it

Back