Tokico Top Mount Bolt

MazdaManic5

:
03 Infiniti QX4
Im talking about the 17mm bolt on the top. It gets half way then spins. Im hearing a monster clunk and i think its the culprat. Here the list.
-Not the endlinks, i remove them
-Not the sway bar, not connected to anything due to the length of the endlinks.
-Not the 3 bolts that hold the top mount theyre tight.

So that leaves me the 17mm bolt not being completely tight.
I am talking about the tokico blues in the rear.

Help is really appreciated and i know there are some pros here.

-Ryan

so try tightening it :p you have to hold the round cup shaped washer in place while you turn the nut.

I ended up having to remove the strut and strut top put vise grips on the threads of the strut rod with the spring compressed and tighten the bolt with a wrench until the washer could be used to hold the rod and then torqued the nut. With the blues you could probably get away with a impact, I could not because I got the illuminas and they only get 30ft*lbs.

Use an air ratched if it is just spinning. I also assume were talking about a nut, not a bolt correct?

If the problem is that you are running out of thread, then try using a thick washer or lock washer, but that doesnt sound like the problem to me.

EXACT problem I, and others had. 2 washers underneath the nut will fix your problem hopefully. If they don't then you're s*** out of luck... ;)

To hold the "bowl shaped washer" use Godzilla Size channel locks and grab the flat sides of it. Use the other washers to eliminate any slack if your springs are too short, a common issue.

My rear right strut did the same to me!!!! Call one of your bros and have him hold the Godzilla Size channel locks and grab the flat sides of the washer-spacer and turn the 17mm nut until you loose the excess play which is causeing your CLUNK.

Last edited:
oo so this is what causes the clunk....i thought it ws the rear sway since i dont have endlinks right now

Why don't you have your rear endlinks connected? The fronts are the ones that don't reach or are to long. The rears will reach just a different angle.

jaytee said:
oo so this is what causes the clunk....i thought it ws the rear sway since i dont have endlinks right now

ELEmental59437 said:
Use an air ratched if it is just spinning. I also assume were talking about a nut, not a bolt correct?

If the problem is that you are running out of thread, then try using a thick washer or lock washer, but that doesnt sound like the problem to me.
o YEAH i ment nut im retarde

kingd0g said:
Why don't you have your rear endlinks connected? The fronts are the ones that don't reach or are to long. The rears will reach just a different angle.
Really i wan tto see a pic of the rears working. I took mine off to use the process of elimination for the noise. Ill try an impact then maybe somethin else i dont want to drop out the struts again. PITA

uclap5 said:
so try tightening it :p you have to hold the round cup shaped washer in place while you turn the nut.
aNYONE GOT A PIC OF THIS WASHER, i dont htink i know wehat were talking about.

its the bowl shaped piece of metal that is right under the 17mm bolt on the top of the strut...

When you took the stock rears off, there is a metal washer that is about the size of a 50 cent piece, round, with 2 or 3 straight edges on the ends. The washer is concave and is put on over the Tokico rod with the Low End (side of washer with the dip in it) facing down and onto the shaft. (Yes Like a "U") Note: The tokico's DO NOT come with this washer, you need to transfer from the stock to the HP's. When I installed mine the other day, I forgot to transfer those and had to take it apart all over again. PAIN IN THE ASS! Anyway, just take the top nut off, throw that washer on, and re-tighten the nut on the shaft. You should be able to jump on the rear deck of your car and simulate the bump and see if the sound goes away. It should.

-z

what if i dont have this washer, i dont remember seeing it in the install is it under the top nut or under the top mount? A picture if anyone has it would be great.

Is this it?
topmount.jpg

Back