Car Bra's: Pros and Cons

Storm

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
OK ya'll,

With all the talk about paint chips and such, I've entertained the idea of buying a bra for my P5. Can I get some pros, cons, and general tips about the use of a bra.

(hear ya)

I put one on my car when I got it new since I was driving 120 miles a day on the highway. It did it's job at first and kept the front end looking brand new, but after a while it started to mess up the paint around the fender well. Don't bother with it.

I've used mine for the past 2 winters with no problem. A good coat of wax prior to installation and regular removal for cleaning will keep your nose looking like new. :)
Dcp_2683%20copy.jpg

I have the bra, and use it when ever I need to take a long trip. As for chips in the paint, you'll never go without any even if you don't drive on the freeway much. I'm sure half of my paint chips have come from city driving, when I don't have my bra on.

I have the bra and well I'll be on my 2nd repaint of my bumper and this is only my 2nd year of having my car.

Mazda paint is so thin, I think its paper thin. I'm gunna sand down my bumper and check.

pros... like they say, saves ur front end...
cons.. they dont have one to fit my car .. love bugs suck a$$

If you have a lot of money to spend, get those clear/invisible 3M Stongard bra on the whole front end ($500~) installed by some detailing shop, or at least do the hood ($200+~) to protect against rust on chips. If you want something cheap, a bug deflector works great. Should cost you about $60-80~, and protects the hood great. Looks better than a bra too, and doesn't do any harm to the paint at all, since it never has direct contact with it. I would stay away from the bra as it scratches the paint once some sand accidentally gets in. The bra doesn't look that great either.

a tint shop was tellin me about a new thing he does, its a semi thick clear plastic coat that he puts over bumpers and rocks cant dent or chip it... if i would have known about that before my brother ran into it with his bike.... :(

horribly ugly. cant stand having one. i thought there was a 3m thing where it is clear yet it protects the bumper and hood, no? saw it somwhere but cant remember. anyone?

I use one

I've been using my factory bra for about 3 months. I put a good coat of eagle one wax underneath about twice a month. Then clean the bra on the inside and out. Works great and looks awesome.
Cheers

3m is great

the 3m works great, you can only see that its there from a close up. when i was buying my car i asked them to do just the hood.
it sucks that i didnt do the whole front of the car now ive got chips everywhere except where the 3m tape is located. it seems like stones just bounce off it not even leaving a trace. this stuff is reall woth the money

Buy one, but not those stupid nose masks though. Get the magnetic bra. Mitch @ protege5online sells them for like 40 bucks. It looks cooler and it sticks right to the hood. However, in the winter it starts to peel up a little where the hood curves allowing sand in between. The minor scratches can easily be buffed out.

Overall the risk of a few scratches is worth the benefit of protection of huge rock chips, most of which occur on the very front edge of the hood. I think there is a website, magnetbra.com, I believe, that you can look up more info...:D

I dont like the look of the bras or the hood deflectors. But huge chips look even worse. I think I may live with the chips and touchup paint them or go for the invisible 3M bras.

hell just go get ur car painted with Emron Paint, its only about 250 to 300 dollars a gallon... but u can paint a piece of glass, let it dry , peel it off , and fold it with a crease open it up and the paint is still intact.... .. Now thats a good paint...

jjac28 said:
the 3m works great, you can only see that its there from a close up. when i was buying my car i asked them to do just the hood.
it sucks that i didnt do the whole front of the car now ive got chips everywhere except where the 3m tape is located. it seems like stones just bounce off it not even leaving a trace. this stuff is reall woth the money
Ya, i thought there was a product from 3m made specifically for cars and paint chips. It's clear and protects your car from all those godforsaken rocks and sand from the cars in front of you.

Back