How do you buy back a totaled car?

eting_pro5

:
'03 Pro5
I was curious as to the process behind getting your car back after you total it. If you total your car and want your car back, do you sacrifice your insurance company's check for the car? Or is there a way to get back your money and your totalled car?

From my experience, you can either total the car (and never see it again), or take the money it's worth, and the car.

What I usually do is take the money they would spend to fix it, and fix whatever HAS to be fixed for the car to run, and start saving for something else.

I think that if the insurance totals your car, you don't have an option other than spending some of the money they give you at their junk yard. They might put it up for auction, so you'd really have to know where the car was headed.

eting_pro5 said:
I was curious as to the process behind getting your car back after you total it. If you total your car and want your car back, do you sacrifice your insurance company's check for the car? Or is there a way to get back your money and your totalled car?

The last comment is correct. It all depends on your insurance, you can keep the car and also get the estimate money that it take to fix. Probably the insurance will deduct some from it, but you can opt to keep the car as well as getting the money. Just check with the insurance before making any decisions.

if u total a car u should get the value of it...and if u wanna buy back the car they charge u whatever they feel its worth now totaled and deduct it from ur check...so if u total ur car and the value is 16k...and u buy the wrecked car back from insurance for 3k.....u get the car and 13k......thats what i know about buy backs from my experince

From my experience the insurance company gives you the money the car was worth minus a salvage amount. Most of the time the salvage amount was 300 bucks.

Back