Paint Match Probs

jk7d

The issue is that the original paint on the yellow MP3's is a yellow with red highlights. The body shop had a Sherwin Williams rep take pictures of the car and try match the paint on the second coating.

Last edited:
MY OPINION.....the body shop you are using doesn't know their business...

your paint has a CODE to it...there shoud be no need for them to TRY to match it...the code is very specific and its a formula to give THE color that your car is.....if they were to have purchased true quality automotive paints.....you wouldn't have had this problem...

sorry....but I would only be buying Sherwin Williams paint if I were painting my HOUSE...not my car.

I've been arguing with them for a week straight now. I'm bringing punching gloves to the meeting on Friday.:mad:

Last edited:
btw,

the yellow p5 and the yellow mp3 are the SAME color no? I may just rent a p5 and pull it up next to the mp3 so the rep can see it.

as far as the paint's concerned, the other choices would have been dupont, basf, i guess it really depends on the shop.

Once upon a time in the land of body shops, paint formulation was done by humans. It took a lot of skill, trial and error to get a match - even though we had a cook book that said for this color you need so much of this and a bit of that.

These days, the mix is computer controlled and there is a lot less trial and error involved. You should not have to deal with a bad match especially if there is $$$ changing hands. The accident was a deer, right? Is your insurance company paying for the repair? Get the adjuster in there with you (most adjusters were body men before going to work for the insurance co. - this is good and bad - remember that he/she may be tight with the shop). Plus these days, most repairs are guaranteed by the insurance company - and they will get involved.

The other thing that can screw up a color match is the primer used. A dark grey primer versus a light grey can throw off the match quite a bit.

Good luck.

Sir Nuke said:
YES, the MP3 and the P-5 yellows are the same...

Ditzler is another excellent brand of automotive paints.

P5 Sunburst Yellow

MP3 Vivid Yellow

Not sure on paint codes yet but they are different... the P5 is much brighter from what i have seen....

Btw just ask your shop to paint your entire car if they can't match it... LOL but then again if they can't match it... I wonder what kind of quality job you are getting.....

Jc

JcsMP3 said:

P5 Sunburst Yellow

MP3 Vivid Yellow

Not sure on paint codes yet but they are different... the P5 is much brighter from what i have seen....

Btw just ask your shop to paint your entire car if they can't match it... LOL but then again if they can't match it... I wonder what kind of quality job you are getting.....

Jc

NOPE...the P-5's is also called Vivid Yellow....I can scan my window sticker if you like....

they have given them different names from one year to the next.....BUT. they are the same.

btw its the same yellow that was put on the Miata as well...but the paint codes are the same.....

paint code : HZ

Ok well over the paint codes for the

Miata is 26 S or F couldnt' really make it out over the phone.. the guy had to strong of an accent...

Protege 5 is HZ.... so you where right about the mp3 and P5 beign the same.

They just look so different to me. I looked at pics and everything and it seems that the yellow on the P5 is just brighter... I dunno it must of been my imagination then....

The miata is definatly another color.. that is for sure...

Jc

blue mp3 is 24A, however, it's not in the mazda book. my dealer had to call cali for the part# on the touch up paint

JcsMP3 said:
Ok well over the paint codes for the

Miata is 26 S or F couldnt' really make it out over the phone.. the guy had to strong of an accent...

Protege 5 is HZ.... so you where right about the mp3 and P5 beign the same.

They just look so different to me. I looked at pics and everything and it seems that the yellow on the P5 is just brighter... I dunno it must of been my imagination then....

The miata is definatly another color.. that is for sure...

Jc

excuse me...my mistake on the miata.....the colors WERE close....but NOT exact....as you noted the codes are different.

Sir Nuke said:

excuse me...my mistake on the miata.....the colors WERE close....but NOT exact....as you noted the codes are different.

Hey dude... sorry if I came off trying to jsut prove you wrong.... but today isn't a good day.... work sucks... gf is avoiding... it's just a messy and ugly day... and I use the internet to get it out sometimes...

Sorry about that...

Jc

O.k. Lots of misconceptions here guys!
A good shop would have done a color blend using a base coat clear coat system! paint formulas are given as a "match" that is blendable not exact. a good tech would have or should have tinted the color to "bring" it closer.
Yes , your insurance co. is your best bet for recorse on this matter!
As far as good paint, its a lot of oppinoin,my preference is Standox, a high end paint from germany. Its plastic refinishing system is second to none!(my opinoin)
I feel your pain I'm not trying to be a smart ass with my post ,just informative.I've been in the body shop biz for 14yrs. and am currently managing a higher end collision shop. I painted for 13 yrs of that time. :eek:

Derrick.... the paint code is on a tag inside the drivers door ;)
bondo bob is right ,if the painter didnt "cover "the primer it could throw the color off.

Wooo... I feel better now, sorry for the long post!

JcsMP3 said:

Hey dude... sorry if I came off trying to jsut prove you wrong.... but today isn't a good day.... work sucks... gf is avoiding... it's just a messy and ugly day... and I use the internet to get it out sometimes...

Sorry about that...

Jc

as I told you in the PM....I didn't take it that way....so don't give it another thought...its cool!

o

Although this yellow seems to have more red in it than the mp3, hence the more brownish yellow look or it could be due to angle / lighting. I am speculating that the actual color is between the HZ and the 26S. Although I don't have concrete proof besides my own personal experience perhaps somone with a Color eye or spectrum analyzer can confirm.

In any case the p5's do look brighter and do not seem to have the red in them to the degree the yellow mp3 does. the mp3 actually changes color as daylight dims and also looks different under street lamps during nightime than they do during the day. It is this characteristic that is not created by the new paint.

As mentioned I am meeting the paint rep tomorrow, the shop called him up so he can pull technicalities out his ass and convince me.

Last edited:
The paint they put on DOES NOT have the red in it - could be confusing.

Last edited:
Well....seeing as how you don't believe US....here ya go....look at this page..its all the specs for the 2001 Mp3....it was cut and pasted straight off of the Mazda Website in case you don't recognize the fomat... take a look at this : to save you a little time looking for it....its at the very bottom of the page.

http://www.virtualroadtest.com/2001/MazdaProtegeMP3/mazdaprotegemp3specs.htm

AND, YOU have your paint code....just go and look to see what it is...I know the car is at the shop...but if you don't beleive us OR that site that the paint code is HZ....go down to the shop...open the drivers door and look at the sticker in the door jam of the door, its at the very bottom of the sticker, see for yourself.

the paint/color code for the 2001 MP3 AND the P-5 is HZ.

and THAT as they say....."is the name of that tune".

Last edited:
"The superior man is modest in his speech, but he exceeds in his actions."

Peace out,

JK

Last edited:
for starters, I didn't mean to come off that way...sorry, but it sounds from YOUR posts that you somehow believe that the car was painted some other color. and BTW, YES I do know my way around paints.........your car was painted on an assyembly line....not just some arbritary paint shop.....there were LINES of cars getting painted, all the SAME color,....so YES...the code is correct.

the FACT is...there is only ONE way that you can absolutely, without any doubt, 100% have the EXACT same chemically mixed, duplicate color....and that is if the paint that shop gets and repaints your car with is from the EXACT same batch of paint that was made, mixed and used to paint your car, kind of doubtful......considering the car is a year old, and the car was made in japan. HOWEVER, a compitent paint shop could obtain and match the color so that it can not be told to be any different....but they start with the paint code...its a code that give the paint manufacturers a FORMULA to make the color. is it possible that the BATCH of paint that your car got painted with was SLIGHTLY different? sure.....but I doubt that it was so different that you could tell when they were new.

so....can your car be slightly different? sure....for starters...depending on how much your car sits outside....how much it has baked in the sun, subjected to acid rain, and a whole host of other environmental elements...it could have faded slightly, or a dozen other things that could make the CURRENT color of your car slightly off from the NEW paint.....

so what it sounds like to me is that the body shop and the paint rep don't know their asses from a hole in the ground when it comes to paint......it seems that they are stuck in the all to common way of "well, thats the code, it must be the right shade" and have NO skill in the old school of matching colors, for a body man worth his salt would know that with time, the paint DOES change slightly...and he can't just pop the stock paint out of a can and spray it and expect a good match.

good luck at convincing the paint rep that THEY screwed up.....I believe you just ended up with your car at the wrong shop...they don't seem to have YOUR best interest at heart....they have their customers....THE INSURANCE COMPANIES!

so there is your help.....you have a uphill battle, good luck.

OH....and IF you can some how PROVE ITS NOT painted the VIVID YELLOW (code HZ)....I hope you can find some documentation and hold on to it tight...for YOU have a ONE OF A KIND Mp3 that is truely a different color than any other out there. AND worth a mint.

jk7d said:
Nuke,

I usually respect what you say but I don't think you know your way around paints based on your posts. I stated that the color code is INDEED HZ, but that I don't believe it is correct. I say that because the paint that was used was brighter than OEM paint. In any case I am not the only one to believe the Mp3 and p5 are different yellows although they share HZ as the color code. These days paints come in so many variations that picking the right variation is key. It's not as simple as going to a shop and saying this is my paint code - get me a close to perfect match. If it were I wouldn't be in this predicament as the body shop did use HZ as the code.

In any case im trying to just get input from fellow members so I can better argue my case tomorrow (i malke it sound like a trial)when I meet the shop and and the paint rep. I can tell you that your post with its air of authority, and the presumption that you can just close the discussion about something you know little about was of ABSOLUTE ZERO HELP. So next time please check that pompous attitude.

"The superior man is modest in his speech, but he exceeds in his actions."

Peace out,

JK

Last edited:
Well I've done a ton of reading up the last two days so at the least im going in informed and ready to do battle.

I'll keep you guys posted.

cheers,

JK

Last edited:
Back