Turbo Protege 5 at Flyin' Miata

Ok, on that other Protege board Bill and a few other Flyin' Miata guys are posting that they got a new Protege 5 and plan on doing a turbo.

Well, Flyin' Miata is just over the mountains from me about a two and a half to three hour drive from me. They also have an open house next weekend, dyno day is on Saturday.

At any rate I can't get time off work, but I might call in "sick" to go, or just wait and go over there later and dyno my car. Who knows? Corky Bell is going to be there.

Also, I sent an e-mail asking what they are doing for the turbo, I am guessing they are going to use the BEGI kit and do their fuel set up but I don't know. I'll report my findings when I get a return email.

And the answer is...

We are working with Corky on the kit. It's here, just have to clear some
time to put it in and start testing. We'll see how the car holds up at 8 psi
before we explore higher power options.

Cool!:cool:

Looks like its time to drive over the mountains and see what I can see. Hopefully it will be more than just the other side of the mountain.:p

At about 11:30 pm tonight (mountain time, that is) Bill was going to fire up the turbo protege he has. That means a dyno should be coming up soon.

The BEGI kit is the one i am getting - should be interesting to hear your story once you see it. Corky said Flyin Miata would charge more for it than he did for his first ten kits, wonder by how much?

i decided to wait for FM whole kit instead of getting corkys first 10 kits, just to see what they find about our cars handling boost.

Razhael said:
i decided to wait for FM whole kit instead of getting corkys first 10 kits, just to see what they find about our cars handling boost.
Hmm, thats a good idea.

Expect to pay 5 grand for an FM kit. But you will get injectors and engine managment with that.

If I were u Razhael I would jump all over that BEGI kit now while its 3 grand, boost it @ 8psi for now and wait for flyin miata to come out with there findings and upgrade from there. That will save you lotsa flow.........if you know what I mean;)

Thats the beauty of turbo..........upgrades baby :cool:

spoolinmp3 said:
Expect to pay 5 grand for an FM kit. But you will get injectors and engine managment with that.

If I were u Razhael I would jump all over that BEGI kit now while its 3 grand, boost it @ 8psi for now and wait for flyin miata to come out with there findings and upgrade from there. That will save you lotsa flow.........if you know what I mean;)

Spoolin, are you tapping my phone lines?:D He is right. If you are going to get in you better get in now. The upgrades only get better from here on out with FM on the hunt. I have clocked 3000 miles on my kit in 100 degree weather w/ no problem. My checkbook is just waiting for FM to finish the computer upgrades. F/Y/I Corky is in CO with the FM guys now.

Yeppers, FM is thinking that it will be in $3500 range with the minor upgrades...However, the price can go higher depending on what they find out.

Corky is up here for FM's open house this weekend...I wish I could get the time off work, but can't, darn the luck!!

Still thinking of calling in sick Saturday just to go to the dyno portion of the open house.

spoolinmp3 said:

Well... Im not waiting for the FMII kinda version of the protege turbo, im just waiting for something like the BEGI IV is to the miata, u know, just revised, only 8psi, not a big turbo and hopefully and most important(for me at least) a relocated and bigger intercooler. Ill probably go for the kits theyll start selling on October, besides im going broke in one more week when paying for school tuition :D need time to recover!

And once again, to be honest, i still dont trust my MP3 trasnsmission, hopefully by October if FM or Wshade still have their transmissions alive ill be convinced!

I am waiting to see what all FM does with the Protege...FMII syle or otherwise.

"These are exciting times we're livin' in gents..." (and ladies as the case maybe)

spoolinmp3 said:

how do you know it will have larger injectors? Will this be in place of the FMU?

how do you know it will have larger injectors? Will this be in place of the FMU?
In my previous statement I was just making an educated guess. As you know FLYINMIATA sells begi and offers the kits with injectors and LINK engine managment. So I am assuming that they will offerr the kits with the following managment and probley will tweak little things here and there like CAI placement ect.

If they offer this "complete" kit expect to pay about 5 grand. And no if they have a LINK with bigger or staged injection it will not need an FMU. It will basically utilize the exact setup I am using that has no FMU............actually my LINK ecu is from flyin miata, it came off my old turbo FM miata and I just adapted it to the MP3 ;)

Hopefully FM will go that route with there Protege 5 eventually.

But, as it stands right now, they are going to test the kit they have first and see where to go from there.

Don't make too many "announcements" for the FM II equivalent on the Proteg. We're going to run at 8 psi for a while to learn just what the platform can handle. We don't like selling stuff that goes boom. WE don't even know what we'll do in the long run yet.

As StuttersC said, we're looking at a price range between $3000 and $3500 for the current 8psi setup. It's going to have to include a fuel pump, we know that now.

As for the intercooler, we'll be checking the efficiency of what we have. If it's big enough to cool the intake charge, then it's fine. I've already got my eyes on a great CAI spot.

Keith
Flyin' Miata Proteg
http://www.fmprotege.com

Keith,
Being that this originally started off as an MP3 board and a MP3 kit from BEGI and yadda yadda yadda :D, are there any plans to make these available for the MP3? Yes, its almost exactly the same as the P5, but there is advanced timing on the MP3. Corky seemed to forget about this and spent more time on R&D before selling his kits to MP3 owners. Also, the MP3 seems to run really rich in its stock condition....

Thanks!

Chris

Yes, there will be an MP3 version. It's the same hardware - the install difficulties on the MP3 that Corky had were not because of the MP3 itself but because of a change in the wastegate design on the turbo used for that install. It's been fixed.

The advanced timing may mean some supplimentary timing controls are required.

Keith

Hmmm, does that mean you need a test MP3, Keith?!?

I'm still working on time to get over the mountain for stock dyno time. I'll probalby wait for next month. I'll be on evenings and I'll have the money...

spoolinmp3 said:
In my previous statement I was just making an educated guess. As you know FLYINMIATA sells begi and offers the kits with injectors and LINK engine managment. So I am assuming that they will offerr the kits with the following managment and probley will tweak little things here and there like CAI placement ect.

If they offer this "complete" kit expect to pay about 5 grand. And no if they have a LINK with bigger or staged injection it will not need an FMU. It will basically utilize the exact setup I am using that has no FMU............actually my LINK ecu is from flyin miata, it came off my old turbo FM miata and I just adapted it to the MP3 ;)

When I talked to Corky yesterday, He informed me that the Link upgrade was coming. I told him about your setup, and that you pulled your Link off of your old Miata turbo and tuned your MP3 with it. He said that makes him that much more optamistic!:D

Last edited:
Back