TEIN-SS Install Ideas

Brian MP5T

Banned
Contributor
:
MP5T / 944
TEIN-SS Install Procedures and Problems

Here are some problems I encountered after the install. The suspension is incredible once these problems are rectified...

MP5T%208.jpg

1. In this picture you can see that the nearest and futhest coilovers are the front. Inside the top of the coil there is a plastic dust boot. NO NOT INSTALL it when you put your suspension together. This boot rubs against the coil and makes a clicking sound. It will eventually break and fall off. Then you have no problems with sound. Save yourself a month of agony.

2. The suspension has little vertical rods connected to the stabiliser bar. These pieces are not reuseable. If you are able to reuse them, they will make noise as well, they are made out of plastic and are to be replaced every time they are removed.

3. Remember the position of the white mark on the top of your upper mounts. They are a type of camber adjustment. When you replace the new coilover, this mark must be in the same place or your suspension will force the alignment out of whack.

4. Get an alignment as soon as you are happy with the ride height. No need in cleaning the road with a toe in or out problem.

All in all, it was totally worth spending the extra money on a real set of coilovers rather than just a set of springs. The springs look nice but that's it.
Good luck with your own install.

New%20Stuff%20For%20UL%20-%20%2819%29.jpg

Last edited:
u kick ass bro.. do they come with camber plates? and exactly how adjustable are they -=P

mypfizzle said:
u kick ass bro.. do they come with camber plates? and exactly how adjustable are they -=P
The Black upper pillow mounts are reused and the dots that I am speaking of are painted on them. If you were standing at the front of the car looking back, the dots would be...

Left side... Far Left Rear Corner...
Right Side... Far Right Rear Corner.

Any other configurations will lead to a misalignment problem.

The Tein SS do not have camber plates, I believe that the camber plates are only really good for the track and Honda's. After the drop, the tires still sit straight unlike some dropped Honda's I have seen. If you spend some more money on a higher level of suspension, yoo can get some camber action, but IMO, it's really not required, just another fitting to adjust during an alignment.

Adjustable... Camber?? The stock mount has 4 holes and 4 bolts. It has, 4 possible positions, undo the 4 nuts and rotate tha assembley 90deg, 180deg, or 270deg depending on where you want the struts to sit. The hole and pillow mount are both made off centered, if the mount is in the original stock location, the struts sit centered.

As the TEIN SS is concerned, you have control over

1. Spring Perch Height
2. Dampening/Rebound Force 15 settings.

Later...

I love mine.... these are pretty good units, and have served me well for the last few months :)

I am very happy with the teins. I got lucky, I picked up the prototype set and I have 24 way adjustability on the dampening/rebound. ;)

Dave

(headbang) Is that even required??

PRO 5 said:
I am very happy with the teins. I got lucky, I picked up the prototype set and I have 24 way adjustability on the dampening/rebound. ;)

Dave

thanks for the info brian, it says on the tein site that there is a "basic" coilover kit coming out, do you know what the difference is? its about 350 cheaper..

The basic set has no internal adjustments for dampening rate. You get what comes with it. Personally, I have mine set very stiff right now and when I go on long trips on familiar roads, i loosen it off alot to make the drive more agreable. I would not want to trade the 350 for a loss of dampening force adjustment!! No ******* Way!

The only reason I can drop my car so low and not have problems with rubbing is that the struts are set very stiff and the suspension hardly moves, if it were softer, I would have problems with rubbing and such...

... what kind of misalignment problems are we looking at if the white dot is at the the upper left on the driver side? Im a little confused, I could have sworn thats where the white dot was pointing... (should have marked that side!!) :(

Edit: I was planning on taking my car in to get aligned this week anyway. Or is there some other problems?

Last edited:
Here is a picture of my engine bay before the install, you will notice there is a white dot on the upper strut mount. notice that it is towards the back of the car and towards the nearest fender.. The other side is like that as well...except that it is supposed to be towards the back and it's nearest fender.
(cool)​

Attachments

• Mazda MP5T Turbo - (2).jpg
    Mazda MP5T Turbo - (2).jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 256
  • Mazda MP5T Turbo - (5).jpg
    Mazda MP5T Turbo - (5).jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 226
Having the upper mount in the wrong position throws the camber out just a bit. But that "Bit" makes the car pull to one side and is too much for the alignment guy to correct without fixing it. That turns a 15 min alignment into a trial and error fest that could take 2 or more hours. It's so easy to fix if it is wrong on your car. Just jack up the car, back off the spring, undo the 4 bolts, push down the top of the assembley and rotate it to the correct place, replace bolts, adjust spring and lower car. Poof, Finished!

Back