Timing belt or chain ?

It's good to know that at 60kmiles or so we're all faced with a big dolla timing belt change... yucch.

It should be a rubber belt, not a chain. The belt will cost you under $45 bucks, its the labor that will get you if you are not mechanically inclined. Its a good idea to replace the timing belt tensioner and the water pump too while its opened up.

Hondas may be good til 100K, but every Honda I've owned I've changed at 60. General rule of thumb for all cars there buddy. I'm sure ours will hold out a little longer, but they are turbo, meaning everything will wear out sooner. Just replace it at 60 on your own, and make some mechanically inclined friends. Where do you live? If it's anywhere close to Jersey City I know alot of guys out there 2 in particular who own a shop.

yeah 60 k service will suck!:(
anyone know how much it will be $ @ ?
like the average cost- or mabye not I don't think we have anyone on the boards with over 60k
i'm not that close to that yet just hit 20k !

Typical cost can be from $199 up to $300 depending on the shop and degree of difficulty. The belt is under $50 bucks.

The manual says to check the belt at 60K. It also says to replace at 100K. Im not sure what to believe

i got a family friend that would do it for alot less.....still suxs..my nissan had a chain :(

its a b**** to get the belt back on. so its gonna be alot of labor. unless you know someone witha a hook up.

Hypnotized said:
The manual says to check the belt at 60K. It also says to replace at 100K. Im not sure what to believe

So you check it at 60K, and replace it if it is damaged or worn.

At 100K, you replace it no matter what. (unless you replaced it @ 60K)

chain, although lasts longer, has a tendency to stretch over time, and then its really expensive to replace. belt on regular protege should not take more then ~ 2.5 hours including the pulley and pump. in some auto stores they sell a complete kit with water pump gasket and all the belts (might want to change them as well since you have to take them off to get to timing belt).

Back