Further proof our stock vacuum hoses suck ass

jersey_emt

:
04 MSM #1089
On the way home from work, going WOT in 3rd gear, all of a sudden I get a huge burst of acceleration. Glance at the boost gauge, and I'm at 14psi (shocked) :wtf: and hear F'ING LOUD pinging...I'm at stock boost remember...I IMMEDIATELY get off the gas and pull over. Rev the engine a few times up to 3 or 4K..seems fine. I pop the hood, and look to find a nice crack in the vacuum hose.

I replaced most of that hose a couple of months ago when it cracked before and I boosted up around the same level. I left a couple of inches attached to the wastegate actuator because it is a PITA getting to that connection.

So I'm thinking s*** I just ******* blew my motor. I slice off the part of the vacuum hose with the crack, and reconnect the new hose to it. Check the gauge, no vacuum leaks. I rev up the engine gradually to 3K, then 4K, then 5K...everything sounds fine..no weird noises...sounds perfectly normal. I pull away, keep it out of boost but allow the engine to rev up fairly high, everything's still fine. I get on it a little more, and finally after 10 minutes or so I go WOT again all the way to about 5.5K....and thank GOD everything was fine.

I took the car out again just now, and it still is fine. No weird sounds, no loss in power, no fluid loss...THANK GOD

What suprised me was the fact that I didn't hit fuel cut.

So people running an FCD beware...pinging can happen even before the stock fuel cut kicks in.

It only pinged for a tiny fraction of a second, so I think I was spared. Didn't throw the 'Random Multiple Misfires' CEL (actually no CEL at all which is a good thing).

similar story

i put my BOV on wrong and boiost crept to about 14 lbs, and as luck would have it, there goes the vac hose attached to the BOV. i'm young and stupid. but from now on, i'm getting help with everything. dam the accelleration was nice though.

whats the weather like in NJ? 14psi is only gonna trigger fuel cut in 60 degree or so weather.. warmer it is the less likely to cut.
But yea, the stock hoses suck.

AIYA ! i haven't really read a thread about the vacuum hoses, but thanks for the warning !

Even if I didn't have the gauge, I still would have layed off the throttle when I heard pinging.

BTW I'm looking on the hosetechniques.com site, there was supposed to be a MSP kit available, but it's not there. I also looked for 3/16" hose (4.75mm) but all they have is 4 and 6mm hoses.

Anybody know where I can get good quality 3/16" hose (preferably colored)?

You know what you should do is goto pep boys...I was an ass and bought the $150+ universal hose techniqes kit and the hoses at pep boys are just as good. I gave what I had left to a friend of mine *which I shouldn't have since I accidently slit one of my hoses and ended up getting the kit from pepboys. Its about $20 and comes in a couple of colors....its in the Rice isle...haha

sickspeed94 said:
i put my BOV on wrong and boiost crept to about 14 lbs, and as luck would have it, there goes the vac hose attached to the BOV. i'm young and stupid. but from now on, i'm getting help with everything. dam the accelleration was nice though.
Sorry for the newb questions..but can you explain how hooking the BOV wrong caused the boost to go up...I have one on order and don't want to mess anything up, thanks.

it's 'cause the valve would just be pushed by the air moving through the tube. there's a sticker on the BPV that shows you which direction air should be flowing. the arrow should be pointing towards the intake pipe

*whoa post 1800 gahaha

Survived a cold start this morning, and drove pretty 'spirited' on the way to work this morning. Nothing out of the ordinary. No strange sounds, no strange smells, oil and coolant levels are fine, no perceptible loss in power. So I think I'm OK....anything else I should check?

see...they put bad hoses on our cars, they break, we replace them with much higher quality hose, then in the future the service guys see that the wastegate line was replaced = a fking nightmare with the dumbass techs!!!

Has anyone been hassled about the new hoses by the dealer? I'd really like to replace the stock s***, but not if my warrantee gets pitched because of it. I guess I'm just thinking if the motor blows due to their bad hoses, they are responsible.

yea our hoses def suck ass ! a couple of mine have already become hard as plastic so i had to change them.. pain in the ass !

Just order the hose technique's universal kit, I got mine in red, and I have replaced just about every hose and I still have some left over. It only cost me $50 or so too.

Chris

xxMSPxx said:
Just order the hose technique's universal kit, I got mine in red, and I have replaced just about every hose and I still have some left over. It only cost me $50 or so too.

Chris

People have been saying that kit doesn't fit...I checked the sizes and there's no 3/16" hose (4.75mm/5mm)

i didnt have any problems with my hose kit. i would take a hose off and just try any of the hoses from the kit. if they ended up being a little loose, thats what the zips ties are for. if they were tight or fit fine, i still used the zip ties just in case. "I" think (my opinion) it came out pretty good on my car. here are a couple pics of the kit on my car. click the links below for larger pics.

http://www.kccompacts.com/photos/freekwonder/My%20car/underhood/IMG_8237.JPG
http://www.kccompacts.com/photos/freekwonder/My%20car/underhood/IMG_8238.JPG
http://www.kccompacts.com/photos/freekwonder/My%20car/underhood/IMG_8239.JPG
http://www.kccompacts.com/photos/freekwonder/My%20car/underhood/IMG_8240.JPG
http://www.kccompacts.com/photos/freekwonder/My%20car/underhood/IMG_8241.JPG

IMG_8237_s.JPG

IMG_8238_s.JPG

IMG_8239_s.JPG

IMG_8241_s.JPG

IMG_8240_s.JPG

jersey_emt said:
People have been saying that kit doesn't fit...I checked the sizes and there's no 3/16" hose (4.75mm/5mm)
yup i ordered the hose tech kit on this site w/ the GB & like one hose fit on my car. dont do it (attn) they dont even make a kit for our car. I never trust anything "universal"

well i must gotten jipped on my kit that i recieved.. i didnt even get that wide hose that comes from the throttle body TUH ! :rolleyes:

mazdaspeedchick said:
well i must gotten jipped on my kit that i recieved.. i didnt even get that wide hose that comes from the throttle body TUH ! :rolleyes:
the hose going to the intake. i had to widen the hole a little bit. It was a b**** putting it on. but i took a 3/4 drill bit and shaved a little off on the inside of the hose and it slid on after that.

Latest posts

Back