Whistling Sound

Gizmo360

:
Laser Blue Mica MP3
Hey everyone,
OK, I have this whistling sound coming from my speakers, even when the volume is turned all the way down, but only when the engine is running. It gets louder and more high pitched as the revs climb and when more current is needed from the car (like when the A/C is on) and is bugging the hell outta me. Could it be bad equipment? Heres what I have installed:

Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP headunit
Alpine MRV-F540 amp (4 AWG power wire)
Infinity Reference Speakers (front and rear)
Infinity Basslink Sub (8 AWG power wire)

I have the power wires all running along the drivers side and speaker wires running along the passenger side. Could it be a bad ground or what? Thanks in advance guys!

I have had that exact same problem with my protege. I upgraded battery ground, I rerouted deck ground to my distro block so they had the exact same ground (which I know is good), checked all my cables, and still I have alternator whine, or whatever it is. My next step is to upgrade my alternator - to - battery wire to 4 ga. I honestly think the ground system in the car is bad. I know camaros also have this problem. I do know however that one way to improve headlight dimming is to upgrade the ground wire off the headlight harness. I just ran a 10 ga wire straight from headlight to negative of battery. I would say reduced dimming more than adding my cap did (2.4 farad). I have talked to a few different installers and they have ideas, but I have tried most and still no luck. If you find something out please post it here.

i have the same problem. but tolazy to fix it, put noise filters on your amps, get them at radioshack , check your amp grounds and were the rca wires are .make sure they arnt touching metal, i kinda like it cause mine sounds like a turbo... hehe

Could be bad equiptment, but it's most likely a grounding problem. Check your preamp outputs on the back of the HU. You might be grounding those out on something. Also, make sure all of your grounding points are minimized (try to have the ones for the amps in the same spot) and continuous (when you put a DMM on the amp's ground terminal and your ground point, you get a reading). Also...make sure you don't have signal wires (speakers and preamp stuff) running with power wire...if they're run together, then you're getting interference. Those are the first things that come to mind...check those and see if that's the problem.

--edit--
oops, missed that last part...ignore what I said about them running together!

Back