2 Sets of lbulbs and 4 fuses later.....

JcsMP3

2 Sets of bulbs and 4 fuses later.....

OK well some of you know that I have had a few issues with my fogs... well this weekend I was driving alot at night and one of my fogs went out again... like it usually would... pull over tap it a few times (I know this isn't the best way of doing things but it seemed to work for a bit....

nothing went on.. ok well the light must be burnt now.. the other one worked fine.... shut them off continue the drive.... get up the next morning to start working on these... went to Canadian tire bought some regular yellow stock stuff. take the housing apart ask the gf to test it and boom the light goes on... wtf is going on... check the wires... check the connection.. it all seems good..... put it back together and it goes out... this was f'n fustrating.. happened about 5 times in a row... so I told her to keep them on this time and everytime I tried putting them back together... the light woudl go out... look around... touch and probe things.. nothing wrong.. then I finally put it together and it worked... woo hoo... put on the lock washer... and boom the thing goes out.... check the bulb and it's burnt now... ok... nice... let's use a stock light now.. see if that is the problem. put the stock one in.. ok check the light now.. boom that one works but the other light is now off... ggrrr.... put that one together... shut off all the lights.... take apart #2... and the light is fine.. wiggle the wires around nothing happens... check the fuses and it's burnt... ok use another 15 amp fuse from somewhere else... put it in... and boom the fuse for the other light burns out... wtf? so go to Canadian tire get a box of fuses... put both fuses in... both lights work.. woo hoo... go to the beach come back later on... and still only one fog.. get the light the next day and it's fukin burnt...

i give up.. it's going into the dealership on wednesday.. I have no more patience nor $$ to spend on this... gggrrrrrr

( btw I didn't touch the bulbs with my hands or anything...)

Jc

Last edited:
short?

you might want to check the condition of the wires and not just jiggle them. you may have a bare spot that is shorting out which would explain some of the symptoms you are having. also check the ground.

i 've never seen the assembly nor have i ever worked on the lights so i may be way off. just a thought.

The lights are 35 Watts. Which are the exact same as the stock ones. I have looked over the wires in and and out for a short and couldn't see nothing... the wire I am playing with is only 2 inches long... and it has the rubber insulator and then a cloth one as well.... I removed the cloth one after the first light burnt to check it out and nothing wrong with it... it's a serious pain in the ass right now.... I have two miss matched colored light bulbs and no more fuses... i hate driving at ngiht without the fogs on... huge difference.... I will find out tomorrow what's going on with them. I have had this problem ever since I took them apart the first time...

Jc

newf said:
The fogs aren't 35 watts, their 55W. The heads are 55/60W

I thought they where 35.. sorry I guess I will have to read the package again.... but if they are lower wattage it shouldn't cause this problem.... higher wattage bulbs would though...

Jc

well, to be honest, your problem does seem to be a short somewhere. Believe it or not though, a lower wattage is not a good idea eithier. The bulb may be pushed beyond it's capabilities. Can't say I've ever stuck lower wattage bulbs in cars before, but I've seen other types of lights act funny with too low of a wattage in them, but it's rare.

Double check this site for the right wattage of the fogs. I can't quite remember if their 55 or 60. But their not 35.

good luck.

btw: I've had 80 watt ones in my fogs since beginning of winter. no troubles yet....knock on wood. And I got PIAA Xtreme white 55/60 in my heads. Much better light then stock.

Newf I will check tonight what the book says but I know at the time that i bought them, they where the same as stock... just a white lights instead of yellow.... you are runniung 80 watts... that's nuts...

I might just try that after... cause i love to see... btw my head lights are eurolights.. the blue looking ones.. and I constantly get flashed cause they thing my lights are too bright... I wonder what will happen when I get my HID conversion in a year from now... LOL

Thanks for the info

Jc

Back