Emergency Brake Light

Skeeter

:
2002 Mp5 - 1995 Miata "M" Edition - 2005 Mazdaspeed Miata black
I would like to know if anyone has had any problems with their emergency brake light coming on (the brake is defiantly off). This seems to happen in cold weather and usually comes on the first time I brake after leaving the driveway. I have a 2002 P5.
Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks (uhm)

Thank you I will do that.
How long are brake pads suppose to last?

all depends on your driving style...and if you drive automatic or standard...I had my first change after 55,000 KM...I drive stick.

I am using KVR Pads all around now.

mine is a stick and I have about 37,000. what do you think?

It depends how you drive your car. I changed mine at around 55K miles, but I do a lot of highway driving and try to go easy on the pads. I drove with the brake light on for most of the winter. It would never get warm enough for it to go away most times. Like YP5 said, check the fluid, if it's there then it's time for a pad change. I have Hawk HPSs.

Oh yeah, and the reason why you see the light coming on (my guess) if the brakes are low is because since the pads are thinner it takes more fluid to push them against the rotor, so the thinner the pads, the more fluid will need to get pushed, and the car will see the main fluid level and think it's low.

most likely brake pads..... there shouldn't be a reason..for any of us to be loosing Brake Fluid...if you are there is a deeper problem. our cars are too new.

skeeter if you have 37000 miles thats about 59000 km so thats pretty good for stock brake pads ;)

If you end up adding fluid, be sure to drain some out prior to changing the pads. With new pads, the fluid level will go back up. If you've topped it off prior to the change, brake fluid could overflow out of the reservior.

GNO said:
If you end up adding fluid, be sure to drain some out prior to changing the pads. With new pads, the fluid level will go back up. If you've topped it off prior to the change, brake fluid could overflow out of the reservior.
True. If you haven't touched the fluid level then don't worry about it, just make sure the cap is off for the reservoir when you're compressing the pistons when changing pads. If you want to be cautious, just wrap some old t-shirt around the mouth of the reservoir, so if it does overflow it won't make a mess.

Back